Pipe from boiler does not get hot

Old 10-02-06, 08:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pipe from boiler does not get hot

Hi, i'm a newbie but i've learnt much from the forums and am eager to learn more. I will try to give a vivid picture.

I fired up my furnace but only 2 radiators were working. So i bled all of them but the others had no water coming out. I assumed excess air in the pipes as my water meters were changed this summer. Still no water after bleeding, i decided to manually adjust the auto-fill valve to allow more water in. Bingo, the radiators bled and i cleared all the air out.

But now none of the radiators work. Tracing it back, the pipe going out from the boiler remains cold while the one bringing water in gets real hot. I'm assuming a bad circulator but am not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 10-02-06, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Pipe hot

I suspect you have your inlet & outlet pipes mixed up. The outlet is the one at or near the top of the boiler & the inlet is at or near the bottom.
In any case, there is a possibility the circulator is air bound. Turn the power off to the boiler. If the circulator is on the inlet (as most are) & there is a valve with a hose connection above it, try holding a bucket under that valve & opening it. With luck you will get a blast of air then water. If you do, turn the boiler back on & try it.
If this doesn't work & you can take a couple of pictures of the boiler & near boiler piping, you can post them on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site & provide a link here. It is much easier to describe to you what to do if we can see your system.

Old 10-03-06, 06:46 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks Grady. You're right, i did get the pipes mixed up. The other one does get boiling hot. Also, we are getting hot water so the boiler and circulator does work.

However, the radiators are still cold. Also the pressure on the boiler jumps to 30. I've bleed water from the boiler but it rises back up again. I've shut off the flow into the boiler but a vent right after the auto-flow valve leaks drops of water.

I will look for the valve you suggested and bleed it when i get home. Also, i will try taking some photos and posting it.

Thanks for helping Grady.

Old 10-03-06, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Logical

Give each radiator a good bleeding. Do this with the heat turned OFF. We can address the pressure problem after you get the air out. I suspect the auto-fill valve is fouled with rust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: