Proper steam boiler cleaning.

Old 10-03-06, 05:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper steam boiler cleaning.

Hi

I'm a new home owner and I have a Weil-McLain Steam Hot Water Boiler, Model 66 with a Becktt Burner. My home inspector, who says he is a licensed boiler technician, said the oil company did not clean the boiler properly at the last cleaning, which was 2 months prior to my purchase. He said that in order to clean it properly one must remove the connector pipe that goes to the chimney so you can brush and vac inside. He said that was not done as you could see the putty was not disturbed recently at the chimney connect. The HW is gas so the boiler is not running in the summer. I called the oil company and they said it is not necessary to take that connector pipe off to clean properly. They can brush and vac without doing that. They came out again to the house and double checked the draft which is at 83%, rated excellent. I also had a chimney person come at the same time and he said the chimney is okay except needs a clean and points. He is coming back today to clean. My question is who is correct? I would like to stay with the current oil company as they have delivered and serviced this house for 10 years and they know the annual usage. I want to pay on a budget plan. However I will be signing the contract with them in which I get a 5yr free service plan, their top of the line...so want to be comfortable doing that.

Thanks, Joy

Old 10-03-06, 05:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile draft??

Draft was 83%, or boiler efficiency? Just curious.. Draft is usually measured in inches of water IIRC. I'd think the chimney guy would have to pull the flue pipe to do his work, and that he'd clean it as part of the service. Ask him about it's condition--that will give you a pro's opinion to counter the oil company's claims, if need be.

(Another homeowner)

Old 10-03-06, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Boiler cleaning

Actually, both the inspector & the oil company are right. To clean the BOILER, the flue pipe does not have to be removed. There are clean-out plates on the top of the boiler block which are removed to clean the boiler. Most companies, when they clean a boiler do remove the flue pipe to clean it & the chimney base. Technically, this is not part of the boiler but it should be done. Some companies (very few) claim their responsibility ends at the boiler breech. Personally, I think your oil company is covering for laziness on the part of the tech who cleaned it. Ask them, point blank, about taking the flue pipe off the boiler as part of a routine cleaning. If they say their responsibility ends at the boiler breech, I'd find someone else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: