New Steam boiler

Old 10-03-06, 04:41 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interesting.

I've had three companies out so far to estimate a new steam boiler for me. None have mentioned a heat loss evaluation, but they've all measured the radiators (counting fins, etc) and seem to be sizing the units to the radiators.

Is that sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by dumb kid
Interesting.

I've had three companies out so far to estimate a new steam boiler for me. None have mentioned a heat loss evaluation, but they've all measured the radiators (counting fins, etc) and seem to be sizing the units to the radiators.

Is that sufficient?
There are a lot of steamheads that hangout on the heatingheat.com forum. Ask there if Grady, Ed or the other pros can't help. old A lot of magic in steam heat... I remember reading that the radiators are big part in sizing the system. Not many youngsters in that field these days.

Old 10-03-06, 05:01 PM
X
Steam systems are a different beast. Boiler sizing is done by measuring the EDR (I believe that is for Equivalent Direct Radiation), which requires measuring the radiators, fin sections, etc.

You should have a heat loss for the building, however, to figure the proper EDR for each room. Assuming no prior heating problems (rooms too hot or too cold, etc.), measuring the existing EDR and sizing the boiler by that is an acceptable approach.

And yes, some of the best steam guys in the country can be found at www.heatinghelp.com.

Old 10-03-06, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Steam System

Unless you are planning on changing some of the radiation, a new boiler must be matched to the existing radiators. If it is not, it won't work properly.

Old 10-04-06, 07:13 AM
D
Thanks folks!

Old 10-04-06, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
dumb kid

That's not a good name for you. You were smart enough to ask before jumping in over your head. Let us know how things go.