Carlin burner only lights when reset

Old 10-02-06, 09:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Carlin burner only lights when reset

hello my oil furnace won't light unless i hit the reset button. after that it appears to function properly, that is it will shut off when it supposed to but won't come back on. when there is a call for heat from the thermostat upstairs or the thermostat on the tankless water heater either nothing happens or I get a chattering sound, push the button and she goes other wise it chatters for about a minute or two and stops. any ideas?
I guess I should include that the chattering sound seems to be coming from the reset control box. I just cleaned the gun and electrodes realigned everything and cleaned the strainer at the pump.. no beans..
how do i check to see if the pump is binding? could it be that? or is it most likely the control box? the transformer was replaced last year and has worked fine since.

ok here it is... there's a coil magnetizer thingy that seems to be the source of the chattering it seems to not be engaging fully to close the circuit. does this mean that i am low on voltage or the control is going, gone? control #'s R8184G1005...a 3 with a circle around it and ... 8226

Last edited by Carlin burner; 10-03-06 at 12:40 PM. Reason: new information
Old 10-03-06, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No ignition

I moved your question because it seems you have a hot water boiler instead of a warm air furnace.

On the aquastat (other grey box) there should be terminals marked B1 & B2 or B1 & B2-C2. Check for 120 volts across those terminals. Also check all wire connections under the R8184 to be sure they are tight.If you get 120 volts, and the connections are good, the R8184 is likely bad.
BTW, the 8226 is a date code. The control was made the 26th week of 1982. It owes you nothing, being 24 years old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: