wiring a boiler

Old 10-14-06, 11:00 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wiring a boiler

The boiler has a manual electric shutoff switch. I would like to add a second electric switch upstairs and add a thermal cutoff
switch above the boiler. The feed for the boiler from the circuit breaker panel has it's own circuit breaker. how would I wire the second switch and thermal cutoff switch?
thanks.

Last edited by paulmichaels; 10-15-06 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 11:33 AM
J
What do you mean by, thermal electric switch?

Why do you want to add the extra switch?

Old 10-14-06, 11:50 AM
J
Paul I moved your thread to this forum in hopes you will get more accurate answers.

I have done enough controls work on boiliers to know that it can be unsafe to install a switch manual or automatic in the wrong part of the boiler wiring.

The boiler techs are the ones with this kind of knowlege, and they are the ones I call to help me figure out the proper way to control a boiler.

Old 10-14-06, 12:43 PM
Emergency Switch and Firetrol

Originally Posted by paulmichaels
The boiler has a manual electric shutoff switch. I would like to add a second electric switch upstairs and add a thermal electric
switch above the boiler. The feed for the boiler from the circuit breaker panel has it's own circuit breaker.
thanks.
I suspect what you are asking about is a FireTrol switch that breaks the electrical connection to the burner in case of a fire? You can find Firetrols at most major home centers. Code usually requires an emergency cutoff switch upstairs for the burner as well. The red emergency cover plates are available at most electrical supply houses or hardware stores. Wire the emergency switch and Firetrol in series with the L1 (hot) line power the boiler and controls.

Old 10-14-06, 01:04 PM
Wink

Id say if you want to keep that kill switch down by the boiler. Make it a 3 way and feed up to the one upstairs that also a 3 way. Power out of the one by the boiler then to the FireTrol switch . Then to the burner.

ED

Old 10-14-06, 02:51 PM
Red face switch plate

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id say if you want to keep that kill switch down by the boiler. Make it a 3 way and feed up to the one upstairs that also a 3 way. Power out of the one by the boiler then to the FireTrol switch . Then to the burner.

ED

Problem is, the red emergency switch plates are labelled off/on.. If someone kills the emergency in the cellar, no one upstairs should be able to override it..

Pete

Old 10-14-06, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sorry for interrupting, but why is a kill switch needed upstairs at all? Is this in case of a burner malfunction/fire? Is this a code thing? Never seen that done around here, but then again I don't have oil heat...
Just curious!

Old 10-14-06, 04:21 PM
Wink

Some citys have a code for a switch to shut off power to the furnace. At the top of the stairs going down to the basement . On oil or gas.

Old 10-14-06, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Switches

As far as I know it is in the National Electrial Code & NFPA codes &/or standards that ALL fuel burning heating appliances have a service switch "within reach while working on the burner" & an emergency switch in a separate room (it seems that at the top of the basement stairs qualifies). These switches must be wired in series. Three way switches are strictly forbidden as I recall.
The thermal switch is frequently refered to as a "Boston Safety Switch". It has been years since I've seen one installed in other than a mobile home.

Old 10-15-06, 10:51 AM
P
Originally Posted by jwhite
What do you mean by, thermal electric switch?

Why do you want to add the extra switch?
Sorry wrong choice of words. I want to add a thermal cuttoff
switch above the boiler and a second cutoff switch in the stairway to the basement. am looking for way to wire these in.

Old 10-15-06, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wiring

Power should follow this path: Breaker--Emergency Switch--Thermal Switch--Service Switch--Boiler Control. From one to the next, all in series. If this is not what you are asking, we'll try again.

Old 10-20-06, 05:36 AM
P
Smile

Originally Posted by Grady
Power should follow this path: Breaker--Emergency Switch--Thermal Switch--Service Switch--Boiler Control. From one to the next, all in series. If this is not what you are asking, we'll try again.
that works for me.
THANKS

Old 10-22-06, 07:14 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Breaker, thermal, emergency,service sw.to equipment. Thermal switches are not required for gas. Here in MA. gas or oil. emergency switch MUST be at the top of the stairs in the living area.

CO2 alarms mandatory,on each level of living space and outside bedrooms.The basement one must shut down the heating appliance and fuel source.some jurisdictions require heat det. and CO2/smoke at the burner/furnace location.

Old 10-22-06, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Question Co2

CO2 alarms? Or did you mean CO? Never seen any CO2 alarms for residential use.

Up there in taxachucetts they now require the detectors to shut off the power & fuel to the heating appliance? Next thing they will want is an automatic device to evacuate the occupants. I can see the headlines in the Globe now: "Elderly couple freezes to death when automatic evacuation system saves their lives." You would have lawyers lined up for miles.

Old 10-22-06, 07:46 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink

Your right Grady CO. sorry.
Not state wide YET, but some areas are enforcing it.
Some codes here are enforced before they are printed.

But we have Teddy and John and others to keep us safe.

Sleep with one eye open!!!!!

Old 10-22-06, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Teddy & John

Originally Posted by lectriclee
But we have Teddy and John and others to keep us safe.
Sleep with one eye open!!!!!
You are welcome to them, too. Don't think they would last long around here. You'd better sleep with one or even both eyes open & watching that pair. Better get off my political soapbox before I get a "behave yourself" note. Peace

Old 11-18-08, 05:31 PM
T
Who pays for the OOOOPs?

We are the 3rd owners of an old house in Ma
And like any old house it needs TLC and the boiler needed to be replaced
No problem so far except for the inspection
The fireman was polite but asked where the emergency switch was.....remember we are the 3rd to own the house and guess what there is NO SWITCH
Of couse the fireman said OOOOPS it was overlooked but by code you must have a switch for this new boiler
To make matters worse the boiler installers now want to charge me for the electrical work yes another OOOOPS overlooked
Now who should pay for all these OOOOPs