no heat

Old 10-14-06, 12:42 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy no heat

thank you , I am new here. I think I may have caused this problem. just purchased this home 1 month ago and turned on the power switch last week on furnace and all was well seemed to work ok. during the week I was cleaning up some old wires and I cut the wire from 1 of the thermostats { there are two stats} in half by mistake, I stripped the wires and twisted them back together making sure they are seperated but not the boiler will not turn on at all, nothing happens when i turn either stat on. the stats are the old mechanical round style that I have seen around for years. I have checked the fuse box all is well there and the power switch is still on.. could I have shorted something out when I cut the wires. the furnace was off at the time.. thank you for any and all suggestions..

Old 10-14-06, 12:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Until the boiler pros have a chance to chime in, I will offer one possible suggestion.

When you cut that wire, you may have either blown a fuse to the boilers control transfomer, or burnt up the transforemer itself. I am guessing that you are saying that the wire you cut is a small thermostat size wire, and not a larger 120 volt wire.

If it is a thermostat wire, trace it down inside the boiler control box and find the transformer, then see if you have control voltage there. Or a fuse that is obviously blown.

Old 10-14-06, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No Heat

JWhite is correct.
If you got lucky & have a gas fired boiler there might be a fuse either on the ignition control or control board. Oil fired usually does not have a fuse unless you have a mult-zone switching relay. Post back with a make & model & we might be able to help you find the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: