Problem with water circulator on boiler

Old 10-15-06, 08:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with water circulator on boiler

The burner is working fine, but no water is circulating through the baseboards. Which part is the water circulator? I think this is the problem, or is it because the expansion tank is nearly full?

Old 10-15-06, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Circulator problem?

The problem may or may not be the circulator. Do you have a voltmeter, know how to use it, & are not afraid to test live electical circuits?

Old 10-15-06, 12:57 PM
R
I don't have a volt meter, but I am getting juice to the boiler. The boiler also heats my hot water(summer/winter hookup), and that is working fine for showers, laundry, etc. The only thing not working is the hot water being pushed into the baseboards. I don't know if bleeding the lines will do it or if there is a circulator. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Old 10-15-06, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No circulation

If the system is less than 50 years old, you almost certainly have a circulator. It should be close to the boiler, in line with either the piping coming off of (or near the top of) the boiler OR the pipe which comes into the boiler at or near the bottom.

Old 10-16-06, 05:35 AM
R
It looks like I have a circulator in line with the pipe going into the boiler. However, the pipe is cold. On the hot pipe coming out of the boiler, there is a green, looks like a big check valve. Could this be the circulator?

Old 10-16-06, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Circulator?

At this point, in order to try to help you more, I need some pictures of the boiler & near boiler piping. You can post them on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site & provide a link here.

Old 10-19-06, 02:45 AM
R
Thanks.
I did replace the circulator. Now it constantly runs, but a lot of air in the system. How do I bleed the system? Through the expansion tank, or on the pipe the circulator is attached to?
This is a regular copper pipe baseboard system.

Old 10-19-06, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Purging air

Is the circulator on the supply (pipe which comes out of boiler at or near the top) or the return (pipe which attaches to the boiler at or near the bottom)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: