over pressure issue

Old 10-15-06, 09:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry over pressure issue

Hi,must be winter starting since my piece of junk 1930 technology boiler is playing games.

Cranked it up and the pressure release valves went after about 2 hours of running.Was fine last year.So i drained my non-bladder expansion tank,and let it refill and tries again,30lbs pressure.

Okay figured it was my auto fill(do they wear ?)made some minor adjustments and 30 lbs again.Re drained expansion tank started it back up and bled all that extra air that got sucked in and 30 lbs.

Am I correct in figuring that it must be my expansion tank is somehow shot?Always worked before and it is not leaking.Sitting idle there does not seem to be a increase in pressure.Also if i drain to below 12 lbs it will always come slowly back to 12lb and stop.

Also after turning the thermostat down,pressure will slowly drop back down.

Gas conversion burner,no domestic hot water on it,non bladder expansion tank and basically only 1 zone.

Any help,thanks

Old 10-15-06, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Over pressure

Your biggest mistake is in relieving the air pressure on the tank. This tank must have air in it to work. Drain the tank COMPLETELY, close the drain valve & if you have one the air intake valve, slowly open the valve between the tank & the boiler allowing the pressure to stabilize, then turn the water back on.

Old 10-15-06, 02:04 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Grady thanks for the help,lesson learned.However what you suggested is exactly what I had previously done.The only difference is that when I reopened the gate valve between the tank and the boiler I opened it all the way immediately(could hear the water glugging in).
Just to be clear slowly opening that gate valve will make the difference?I also assume that the circ pump needs to be off?

Thanks

Just ignore this post thanks,should have read your reply more carefully,thanks

Last edited by flyerfan; 10-15-06 at 02:13 PM. Reason: because i obviously cannot read

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: