searching for info on my Weil-McLain boiler

Old 10-16-06, 09:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
searching for info on my Weil-McLain boiler

I have a 60's era WM boiler, the only numbers I can get off the door aside from pressure/temp ratings are A-B-572 and Series 1. There is no S/N stamped into the plate (though there is a field for one).

I need a few things, first the ceramic gaskets for the 8 top covers and the 2 front doors. (do they sell that by the foot/bulk so I can just cut my own?)

Second, I'd love to replace the burner with something a little more effecient (since I spend about $4000/6 months on oil). What questions should I ask, or what info is needed to find an apropriate replacement?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-06, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Gaskets/burner

You could use kaowool rope or strip for gaskets. Cut to fit & hold in place, if on a verticle surface, with high temp silicone.
I've had good luck with Riello burners. Something like this is not your average DIY job. You likely won't get a lot more efficiency with a new burner but some. To dramaticly cut your fuel bill would require investment in a new boiler.

Old 10-16-06, 06:48 PM
X
Wow. If you are burning that much oil in a season, you are definitely a candidate for a) improving your building envelope (seal cracks and infiltration points, add insulation), and b) a new boiler.

Old 10-17-06, 05:34 AM
B
I've been told by 2 or 3 different heating people that replacing the boiler doesn't make sense until I am ready to replace all the plumbing as well. Also, they've told me that the boiler is less of a concern than getting a more effecient burner.

The house is 1 zone (one part of the problem) 17 rooms, the first floor has 11 foot ceilings. The windows are old, but I cover them with the plastic lining for the winter. The main issue is trying to keep the first floor at 65 degrees means the second floor jumps to 85 or so.

I thought of getting thermost operated valves for the radiators upstairs to sort of make them their own zones, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

New doors/windows would be great, but the house is in a historic district and I can't make changes to anything without it being exact replicas, custom windows to match the 2.5'x7' windows on the first floor in this house would be pricey.

Can anyone help suggest a new burner for me? or what info/questions to have ready for a heating supplier?

Figured out by reading old WM product guides that it's a 72/73 model boiler w/ 4 sections.

Also, does anyone know if I can get a bulk sheet of the gasket material that the top plates (removed for cleaning) use? What type of material is it, i know it use to be esbestos.

Old 10-17-06, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Sealing cleanouts

If you have a Sid Harvey near you, they have that material in sheets. It is a ceramic fiber material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: