steam boiler additive

Old 10-24-06, 08:59 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
steam boiler additive

I have been pouring in a bottle of 8 Way boiler treatment by Stewart Hall each year after a partial draindown. Stewart Hall claims it keeps the Ph in a good range, helps to keep it clean,prevents surging etc.
My heating guy isn't happy with it. (he admits to not being very steam savy) but he thinks it "ate up" the copper on the LWCO because it only lasted two years, which he had to replace under warrenty/service contract.
A call to Stewart Hall chemists says its impossible with this product.
Anyone think using a additive in a steam boiler is a good idea? I would think with all that O2 that gets drawn in and water evaporating that it would be helpful to the life of the boiler. (?)

Old 10-25-06, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Steam Boiler Treatments

In commercial/industrial applications, water treatment in a steam boiler is a big deal & big business but they closely monitor the water quality. I don't believe in "fits all" treatment or any treatment without testing to see if the treatment is needed, how much is needed, & how well it is doing what it is supposed to do.
After saying all of that, I must admit I am not that steam savy either. Maybe KField will see this thread & jump in here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: