one of 2 zone valves not working independently

Old 10-25-06, 05:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
one of 2 zone valves not working independently

Hi, this is my first time using this service. Bought this 1973 home this August. Started using the gas/baseboard/2 zone heating system last week. What I noticed wrong so far: Upstairs zone does not work unless downstairs is on. The t-stat on 2fl is loosely attached to wall. the valve at boiler is a Honeywell v8943e1012 motorized valve; date code is F1-9338. when i set t-stat to a temp warmer than the room the valve motor moves but the furnace does not turn on. the lever on the zone valve component effortlessly slides to manual and stays there. still no heat. the synchron motor gets hot to the touch. the first floor t-stat works properly and the lever on the valve has tension when slid to manual and automatically slides to auto. the motor only gets warm. Also, upstairs will heat according the the temp set on t-stat throughout the night. I did notice this morning the temp downstairs was 69* as set, the baseboards were not hot, and i didn't hear them making their usual noisy tinkers and jingles when heating up. So, (finally) my Questions are:Why is this happening & what can I do about it? I am not afraid of tackling this myself if given the know how. I am afraid of spending to much $$ on a pro for anything I could have done myself. Thank you for all your help to all who reply.

Last edited by rmorales4; 10-25-06 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Zone Valve

It sounds like either the end switch on the valve is bad or the wiring between the valve & the aquastat. I think the # on that valve is V8043-1012. If the wires have a bad connection, it's an easy fix. If you need a new power head for the valve it is relatively expensive & I suggest getting a pro to do it. Some are easy to change others are not.

Old 11-02-06, 11:24 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Grady for responding. I have looked at the wiring and became quite dizzy. I don't know exactly where the aqua stat is. Would I use the 1st floor zone as a model to correctly wire the 2nd? Also when the t-stat is off the lever has tension. I did notice that some wires were connected differently on the 2 zone than the 1st. I swithced them but no service.

Also, this may give you more insight. I found on the service sticker that on 4/1/05 a job code A- for a FWD AQUST(?) Relay NG replaced /operated & ok.

9/28/05 job code GHHT- for replaced air vent / pm or pin(?) boiler / all ok.

Could any of these services have to do with the problem? The former owners were very old and may not have noticed the 2nd zone problem if they kept the 1st zone at 68*+ all day & night.

Old 11-02-06, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Job Codes

Some of that I could figure out but not all. NG= No Good PM= Preventive Maint.

It is unusual for the motor to get hot & operate. Normally if the motor gets hot the vavle is stuck & causing extra load on the motor. This seems not to be the case here since the lever will move easily. When you turn the thermostat down, does the lever return to its "at rest" position & take some effort to push to the open position as you state the first floor does? If both valves are the same, you can use the first floor valve's wiring as a model for the second floor valve.
Something easy to try: With the second floor thermostat calling for heat & the zone valve open, push the lever as far as you can. It should not move far beyond where it is slides effortlessly but a little more. If the boiler now fires, it sounds like the end switch is the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: