No heat in Upper Zone

Old 10-25-06, 04:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat in Upper Zone

After bleeding my system, or attempting to, I have no heat in the upper zone. The boiler is 6yrs old and sits in the basement. Main floor heat, and domestic hot water is fine. Upper Level (2nd story) has no heat.

There's 2 zones, with the circualtor pump on a shared return line. There's also another pipe coming out the top of the boiler with a T connecting the relief valve and basketball sized expansion tank.

Pressure gauge on boiler reads ~16psi, though i am not sure how accurate it is because it responds slowly.

When bleeding the system, i shut the boiler off via kill switch, closed ball valve just before circulator, selected lower zone valve to manual, and opened purge valve. Once I felt it was bled, i closed the main floor zone valve and opened the upper floor.

After having no heat last night i attempted to bleed the upper level again, but water will only trickle out, unlike before. Does this sound like an air lock? To add to the problem, i also installed a new thermostat today on the upper zone, but do not beleive it to be the problem as there is still no heat, but it does turn the boiler on.

The water feed to the PRV is on. I've drained the complete system and started over again, with still the same problem.

Please Help!!

Thanks

Old 10-25-06, 04:18 PM
purging/bleeding

What kind of radiation do you have? Radiator, fintube, CI baseboard??

It is best to bleed the air from the highest points in the system. Purging from the basement invites air entry, and air will rise to the top of the system. Are there bleeder valves on the radiators?

Old 10-25-06, 04:30 PM
S
Unhappy Still no luck

Fintube baseboards. Unfortunalty there are no bleeders at the baseboards either. I've just tried this for the 4th time with the same results.

Old 10-25-06, 04:50 PM
fintube

If you can get a lot of water moving through the pipe at good velocity, it should clear the air out in my opinion.. It is basically 3/4" tubing... Might wait and get a second opinion from Grady.

Old 10-25-06, 05:03 PM
S
Thanks for the responses. Any ideas on how to get this water moving through? I've already tried flipping the lever on the PRV so it will fast feed. All that did was pop the relief valve though.

To add to the confusion: This system had an old mercury style Zone-A-Matic zoning valve for the upper floor, and on top of that about a year ago during service I had a newer style motorized valve that would be compatible with a digi-thermostat spliced in above it and set on manual. When bleeding the system i found a small leak coming from the old zoning valve, so i tightened its connection. Today i simply removed that valves controls, and wired up the newer valve to a new digi-thermostat. The no heat problem happened yesterday though.

I know this is not a wiring problem, but either an air lock, or the supply to this zone is being blocked?

Old 10-25-06, 05:26 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the old merc valve in the open position?

Bleeding: above the circulator/zone valve you should have 1 ball valve, for shutting down when changing the circ. above this is there another valve? Looks like a garden hose attachment?

If so: shut off that zone valve (turn down t-stat so it won't call)
Connect a hose to the other valve, place hose out window or in a bucket. Open the valve and let the water move.
You will need to make sure the make up water valve is open.

You should hear some girgles and see bubbles in the bucket.
let run untill the bubbles are gone, 4-5 min.
It's ok to shut it off to dump out the bucket.

Old 10-25-06, 05:55 PM
S
Yes, the setup is just as described, and that is how i have been bleeding it. I removed the mercury valve, so it should now always be open.

Old 10-25-06, 06:19 PM
S
Back up and running!!

Pounding on the old valve seat for the mercury styled control revealed that it was being held by buildup in the closed position. When i tightened the fitting where it was leaking yesterday, it also was just enough to keep the valve from operating with all the buildup on it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: