Cold starting an A/S Arcoliner

Old 10-28-06, 05:02 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cold starting an A/S Arcoliner

My 50's Arcoliner (O 155T 123MBH) currently provides my domestic hot water during the heating season. During the summer I use a Bock oil fired water heater and shut down the boiler. If I decide to use the Bock year round, would there be any problems with cold starting the Arcoliner boiler? I would take the tankless coil "hot out" supply and pipe to the water heater "cold in supply" utilizing the boiler during the winter months therefore making the water heater fire less often. Do I sound like a mad scientist, lol? I just don't like the temp swings in the shower with the coil when the heat comes on. Being a large mass boiler would it take forever to heat up? It makes no sense to me to circulate cold water through the cast iron baseboard while the boiler it heating up but thats the "in" thing today. I doubt that an indirect water heater (SuperStor) would work well if the heatup time is long. Would there be any condensing issues or sooting problems? I have heard that a warm cast iron boiler is a happy cast iron boiler.

Last edited by ENFD7; 10-28-06 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-06, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Warm Cast Iron

What you have heard is absoultely correct. But if you have been shutting it down in the summer without problems, you should be ok. On the other hand, during the summer you don't have a slug of cold water coming back to the boiler. Condensation could be a problem.
I agree that in indirect & the old Arcoliner would not be a match made in heaven.
I know new boilers are not cheap but this old beast has to be eating you out of house & home. It is, without a doubt, inefficient & probably oversized. You might be surprized how quickly you could recover your investment.

Old 10-28-06, 07:29 PM
E
I agree Grady. But we just moved in two years ago (6 months after installing a Burnham V-8 in my previous home because I didn't think we were moving) and my cash flow is needed for other things that need fixing. The boiler however does work well. I used 700 gals of oil over the last 12 months in this 1500 sf house. The home has 80000 btu's of Burnham Baseray cast iron baseboard so you are right, the boiler is oversized. I would guess my heatloss is only 50,000 btu's as it's a tight house all updated. Just received my copy of Slantfin's heatloss software and can't wait to use it. When I'm ready, all be putting in a Peerless WBV with a SuperStor indirect.

Old 10-28-06, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Peerless WBV

Nothing wrong with a WBV but not the best choice for cold start. I steer clear of any pin style boiler in a cold start application.

Old 10-28-06, 07:49 PM
E
Wink

What do you think about the Burnham RSA steel boiler? My service tech says they heat up quicker than cast iron and handle the thermal shock better in a cold start system. I guess I could install a boiler bypass when I install it. I always thought cast iron was king, but now I'm not to sure. The RSA only gets an AFUE of 82 percent. The cast iron boilers are getting 85 and up. But i guess that is before the soot collects around all the pins that can't be reached with the flue brush. Tubes are easier to clean I suppose.

Old 10-28-06, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Argument

I might start an argument with this but what the hay?

I have never installed an RSA but I am not at all fond of steel.
I have a Crown CT-3 with a Mega-Stor indirect in my own house & really like it. In fact after I had mine for about 5 years, I put a CT-5 w/Mega-Stor in my parents' house. If I had my choice of boilers today, I'd look very hard at the Buderus G115. Never used a Biasi either but from what I hear, they are a good boiler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: