leaking shut off knobs

Old 11-02-06, 05:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking shut off knobs

I have a bolier system with cast iron radiators. The house is 100 years old. We just moved in a few months ago. There are two floors and one zone. I wanted to try and balance the heat by shutting off some of the radiators on the first floor. However when I turn them to close water starts to leak out.
So does this mean these shutoffs are shot and need replacing?

I spoke to my service guy and he said something about graphite packing in these and could be worn. He also stated that if I remove the pressure I will be able to remove the valves and check them out without having to do a full drain of the system. does this sound right?

Old 11-02-06, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Leaking Valves

Your service person is correct. There is usually a nut where the valve stem enters the valve body. The graphite packing is in there. Packing should be available at any plumbing supply house.

Old 11-02-06, 10:25 AM
M
OK thanks, but what about the part where he said to release the pressure and no water will come out to fix them? Is that correct?
If I remove pressure and have a rad on first and second floor connected to same run, wouldn't removing the valve on first floor cause the water in the second floor rad to come out just because of gravity?

Old 11-02-06, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Packing valves

You are not going to be removing the valve. There may be some leakage but nothing a towel shouldn't be able to handle. I've repacked many valves without even dropping the pressure. Just be sure to have the valve closed.

Old 11-02-06, 03:44 PM
M
Alright now, I need to tell you that I am a amateur here. Please explain how to do this. The nut doesn't hold the valve in? How far do I loosen the nut? All the way off? How much do you pack in of that stuff?

Old 11-02-06, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Re-Packing Valves

I will try to explain it but it would be far better for someone to show you. Most of the folks at plumbing supply houses (not your big box home center) would be glad to explain how to do it.

The nut does not hold the valve in. It just holds the packing. The knob & nut have to come off. Usually 2-3 wraps of packing are enough.

Old 11-03-06, 06:41 AM
M
OK Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: