Baseboard heat troubleshooting questions

Old 11-02-06, 03:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heat troubleshooting questions

I have a mid-sixties house with a single zone system with 3 different floors. It's been banging pretty loud when it first comes on and usually goes away when it's been on a while. I also noticed the pressure relief valve has a minor leak. Beside the noise and minor leak, the system has worked pretty well over the years. The service guy came out about 5 years ago and I have no idea what he did to reduce the noises in it. I thought before calling in for service for the banging I would like to try and troubleshoot this on my own.

The baseboards have no bleeder valves on them. I have a pipe that goes in to the boiler from the top (cold house supply water). Between that and the boiler is some kind of pressure valve with a screw setting. I've turned that screw a little back and forth but nothing happened to the pressure. I turned this screw as it was running close to 20 p.s.i. and the previous service guy said to keep the pressure around 16-18 p.s.i. I got it back down to 18 p.s.i. by slowly opening a gate valve on the bottom of the boiler with a hose end on it until the pressure dropped. Coming out of the other side of the boiler on the bottom is the circulator pump which has a pipe that goes to the baseboard registers in the house. It has a couple of shutoff valves. One prevents the water from going into the registers in the house and the other sticks out with a hose end on it which looks like it would drain the pipe tha goes to the registers. Let's see, near the pipe on top of the boiler is another pipe with a gate valve in the middle of it that goes up to the basement rafters to an 8 gallon expansion tank dated 11/65. This expansion tank has a gate valve on the bottom of it with a hose end which I assume is a drain for the tank. I drained a quart or so out of the tank and the water was crystal clear. OK, when the thing bangs, the pressure gauge on the boiler jumps from about 18-22 and then it settles down at about 18 when the banging stops.

Well, that's all I've done as far as exploring this system. Sorry I'm so long winded here but I'd like to tackle this noisy furnace on my own.

Last edited by V8 Powered; 11-02-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Noisy Boiler

The only thing I can think of which would cause this is deposits in the boiler. It is fairly common with dry base boilers & there is little you can do about it. Most gas fired boilers are dry base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: