Indirect WH plumbing.

Old 11-05-06, 09:49 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Indirect WH plumbing.

Do I need DHW recirc line going back to my indirect? It probably will be a good idea to have hot water right away at the shower?
If I need to have it, should I use bronze circulator or try to make it gravity fed. I found this article and kind of skeptical about it. http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?columnid=62

I don't get it. If Indirect has hotter water on the top and cooler water on the bottom, how in the world warmer return water will be able to open the flow check and enter cool water on the bottom of the indirect. And what is that 1/4" hole in the flow check for? I can see this recirculation working with the circulator but I didn't really get this gravity fed system they are talking about. It's like having garden hose in closed circle standing up. If we will have some heat applied to the left side of it, why should it make water to recirculate all by itself?

Old 11-05-06, 11:00 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
overkill

DHW recirc is good for hotels, apartment buildings, and the 15,000 sf house mentioned in the article (which, for the record, is just over seven (7!!!) times bigger than my house). For us owners of merely normal homes, however, I would follow the directions for piping the indirect in the normal manner and be done with it.

I believe the operative acronym is KISS. Less muss, less fuss, less stuff to break or worry about.

Old 11-05-06, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Overkill for sure

If the shower is 100 yds. from the water heater, ok, otherwise I think it is a waste of money & energy. It will cost more in energy to keep that water moving than it does to heat the gallon or two you waste waiting for the water to get hot at the tap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: