Relay Malfunction

Old 11-05-06, 07:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relay Malfunction

I have a three zone Radiant system with White Rodgers Zone Valves, White Rodgers Relay, and single Circulator. The Relay is not working correctly. The Zone valves are opening fine and the Burner firing up, but the Circulator isn't getting any juice. There is a little gizmo located on the relay that is loose. I can get the Circulator working by pushing it up using a screwdriver and slipping a little cardboard underneath to hold it in place, but then it doesn't shut off. When the Zone Valve sends a signal to the relay, there is a small electrical spark behind this device and it flops up and down.

I'm wondering if I'll have to replace the entire relay or just the smaller device. If it helps, I can e-mail a photo of the relay. I've looked up relays on the Internet and it looks like about $180 to get an equivalent and I'm not sure that I can replace it myself. I installed new zone valves, but with almost identical replacements. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-05-06, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Bad Relay

You will probably need to replace the entire control. Is there a number on it?
Since we can't post photos here, you can post it on photobucket or similar photo hosting site & provide a link here.

Old 11-06-06, 10:03 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The model is White Rodgers 842A-16 and here is link to a photo.
http://www.geocities.com/gotto.family@sbcglobal.net/Temporary.html

In the lower left of the relay you can see the cardboard shims that I used to keep the circulator running. It appears that when activated by the Zone valve the small Relay device pivots upward and makes contact with the circular device above (labeled "Circulator") thus firing the pump. One or both of these components is not working, probably the one on bottom.

It looks easy enough to replace the entire relay with the exception of two things. I'll have to use a suggested replacement, REL8J48A, because the 842A-16 is no longer available. My guess is that both models are wired and attached pretty much the same, but... I've made that mistake before.

Second, the wiring seems pretty simple (in comparison to the Zone Valves that I replaced), but the Relay is attached from behind to what feels like a gas line, but I can't see anything. Looks like I may have to break the Relay down into smaller components by poking around a removing screws here and there???

Thanks again for any help. As I said, I'm not sure if I can replace the smaller components. If I can help it, I don't want to get the thing half way apart to find out that its not a do-it-yourself.

Old 11-06-06, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Relay

Most are held in place by some sort of clamp. Look for what appears to be a set screw behind the control or maybe two screws which when loosened will allow you to remove the control.
If you have a Sid Harvey store near you, they have the original control available as a re-manufactured part. It is their part number C313-1R.
Should you end up using a replacement part, be sure to make a diagram of the wiring before you disconnect the old control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: