Steam boiler corrosion problem

Old 11-07-06, 06:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Steam boiler corrosion problem

I live in the Northeastern US, and I have a steam boiler (Burnham, model PV86-ST) that is used to heat the house. It is 6 years old.

The boiler has a leak above the water level (so it loses most of the steam via the flue...) and I'm told that it was due to corrosion. Because of the leak, I need to constantly add water to the boiler.
It was explained to me that it was due to the presence of Oxygen in the water. The more water we added to the boiler, the faster the corrosion process took place. I have also been told that the presence of chlorides in the local water system makes the problem even worse.

1st: are these explanations plausible? Are there other explanations?

2nd: doing some research, I found several suppliers of "oxygen scavenger chemicals for steam boilers". Is this something that I need to look into? If yes, how does one purchase this? by the pound? Are these chemicals safe? How does one "inject" this stuff inside the boiler?

3rd: Instead of chemicals, are there filters that would "condition" the water and make it less "corrosive" if there is such a thing?

I'm lost and confused...

Sincerely, Frank Lopes

Old 11-07-06, 08:44 PM
X
Contact Burnham directly and ask about options. They are aware of some chloride-related issues. They recently introduced a new steam boiler (the Mega Steam). Apparently the design of this new boiler addresses some issues with steam boiler design, in particular a heat-induced chloride reaction that was causing failures in some installations.

Check out this thread, in particular the post by the Burnham rep on 02 Nov at 10:43 AM.

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=281155&_#Message281155

Old 11-07-06, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
What we do with the large boilers at my workplace is perform daily water tests to determine exactly what chemical treatment is required.
I have recently earned a fifth class power engineer's license and operate three low and one high pressure steam boiler but am unsure how water treatment is handled on residential boilers.
I'm sure one of our experts will be along shortly to enlighten us both.

Old 11-08-06, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Water Treatment/Steam Boilers

Usually in residential systems because of the normally minimal make up water required, water treatment is not an issue.

Like any other treatment, one needs to determine the cause (oxygen, acid, chlorides, etc.) before application of a cure. The only way, of which I am aware, to do this is by water analysis.

Old 11-10-06, 04:37 PM
F
It appears that inded the issue that I have is oxygen and chlorides. What is the recommended solution?

Originally Posted by Grady
Usually in residential systems because of the normally minimal make up water required, water treatment is not an issue.

Like any other treatment, one needs to determine the cause (oxygen, acid, chlorides, etc.) before application of a cure. The only way, of which I am aware, to do this is by water analysis.

Old 11-10-06, 06:00 PM
X
Get in touch with Burnham directly. They would probably either provide a manufacturer-approved solution, or possibly warranty your boiler for repair or replacement.

Old 11-10-06, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burnham

Burnham is aware of the problem & has always been very good about warranties. They MAY give you the option of upgrading & give you credit toward the upgrade. Here is a link to the new Mega-Steam from Burnham. http://www.burnham.com/megasteam/index.htm

Old 11-14-06, 07:03 PM
F
I contacted them via email many days ago and still haven't even received an ackowledgement that they got the email nevermind addressing the issue.

I'm very disappointed with their silence, that is why I had a different brand installed. Otherwise we would be without heat.

Burnham is aware of the problem & has always
been very good about warranties. They MAY give you the option of upgrading & give you credit toward the upgrade. Here is a link to the new Mega-Steam from Burnham. http://www.burnham.com/megasteam/index.htm

Old 11-14-06, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burnham

I am very surprised with their lack of response. Burnham is usually very good about warranty or potential warranty issues. Just curious, what did you have installed?

Old 11-14-06, 07:13 PM
F
Peerless. I don't remember the model...

I am very surprised with their lack of response. Burnham is usually very good about warranty or potential warranty issues. Just curious, what did you have installed?

Old 11-14-06, 08:47 PM
I obtained a warranty boiler from Burnham in three days last week. I called my wholesaler, gave them the customer info and had the new boiler quickly. The V7 model was discontinued so they sent the V8 model with everything but the burner and controls. At no cost. The boiler was 9 years old. I think you could have had a professional handle the replacement in warranty and saved a few thousand dollars.

Ken

Old 11-15-06, 07:32 AM
X
franklopes. Sorry to hear about your experience. If all you did was an email, then either they never got it or you somehow slipped through the cracks.

FWIW, Burnham has been terrific with me, both in answering questions about my old Series2 via email, and helping design my new system around their Revolution boiler. As KField said, it often helps to go through your installing contractor or local wholesaler. They know the regional reps and who to talk to at the main office.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: