Filling the Piping?

Old 11-08-06, 08:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filling the Piping?

The house I just bought has oil-fired hot water heat. When the technician came to service the unit, he found the downstairs loop was airbound so he had to vent it to get the air out. In the process, a lot of the water came out too and he never put any back in. Now everything works fine, but it makes me wonder how to know when water needs to be added and where to put it in. When the heat isn't running, the expansion tank seems to be empty. It also has no cap or anyplace to add water.

Old 11-08-06, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Filling Piping

Probably, as he was purging the air, the automatic fill valve was open & feeding water.
The next time you have a service person in there, ask him/her to explain how your system works & what the various components do. Most of us are more than happy to do so.

Old 11-08-06, 02:44 PM
M
Thanks! I didn't realize there was an auto fill valve, though I guess I should've figured there would be something like that. On checking a little closer in the dark corner where the boiler is located, I did find a pipe from the cold water line connecting to the boiler piping.

Old 11-08-06, 04:17 PM
expansion tank

Originally Posted by md2lgyk
The house I just bought has o When the heat isn't running, the expansion tank seems to be empty. It also has no cap or anyplace to add water.
Ideally, the tank is mostly pressurized air. If it becomes waterlogged, you will have excessive water pressure when the boiler is hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: