Ultimate Boiler-Superstor, 8500 bucks

Old 11-14-06, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Boiler-Superstor, 8500 bucks

Hey,

i have a 4500 square foot 5 bedroom home and need a new boiler. I currently have a system 2000 with 8 zones that is a piece of garbage and I can not get parts for it. It's 20 years old and can not be vacumed as we can not get the back section parts that have deteriorated to the point where we can not take the back off to vacum. There's only 1 place around here (boston area) that we can get parts from for this POS and they will not let us order parts unless we buy oil from them under contract and I refuse to be straight armed into such an agreement. FU&% them! I don't mind seeing this thing go and welcome a new boiler. My plumbing HVAC guy is reccomending an Ultimate Boiler PFO-7(by ultimate) which is an energy star 89 percent eficient boiler and a Superstor for the hot water. He's quoting me 8500 bucks for the job. He said he will put in all circulators (8 zones) and no zone valves for a balanced system. What the heck does that mean? Is Ultimate a good boiler? Are circulators better than zone valves? WHat about the superstor? Thanks very much. I'm getting 2 other quotes also. I don't mind paying a bit more for eficiency and quality. I understand that the US avergae for a new boiler and water heater parts and labor is 6 grand. This quote is obviously higher than that, but again, it's a decent size house with 8 zones and I'm assuming that the boiler is top notch??? So many questions! Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by eminentfront; 11-14-06 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 03:55 PM
Energy Kinetics

For a steel boiler, 20 years isn't that bad. They have a good reputation, and i believe you would be entitled to a 25% lifetime discount on a replacement EK system?? Sounds like you beef is with your oil supplier and not EK.

Old 11-14-06, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ultimate

I haven't encountered an Ultimate in years but when I did, I hated every minute of it. They were a real bear to clean.

Regarding your question about circulators: I'll take individual circulators every time over zone valves.

It is well known that I am no fan of either steel boilers or particularly System 2000 but I would bet your problem was caused by condensation due to improper piping. If the piping is not corrected, you will have the same problem with a new boiler. The one boiler I know of which has internal mixing is the Buderus G215. I'm sure there are others as well. Any boiler can be set up to handle large volumes of cold return water.

Old 11-14-06, 06:53 PM
Thanks for ther replies. Besides the cleaning on the Ultimate, is it a decent boiler? Included in my guys price was to increase the 1 inch pipe to a bigger diameter (he didn't say how much bigger but I will find out) What about the superstor? Is that a good product? Regarding the other reply, my beef is with EK, I called them directly tog et parts and they told me the only ditributor I could get parts from in this area was the one that would not service me because I didn't buy oil from them. I told EK that and they offered no explanation or alternatives. They would not or could not get me parts. Yes, I agree 20 years is decent for this boiler. Time to move one! Thanks!

Old 11-14-06, 07:19 PM
superstor ultra very nice. superstor contender nice. Friend has the ultra; she likes it.

Get a good boiler and a pro who knows how to install it. Never heard of Ultimate but if Grady doesn't like 'em, who am I to argue.

Get a heat loss done, size the boiler to meet the heating load and figure out what your max water temp can be on a design day. Chances are you can go with a condensing or modulating/condensing boiler and have a pretty short time to pay back the added cost.

Something like a Buderus would be popular in your neck of the woods.

Old 11-15-06, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ultimate

Based solely on my own experience many years ago, I would say no, they are not a good boiler. I replaced several & all due to failures in the cast iron. Since they are still in business (at least the name is still around), I would have to presume they cured that problem. You may want to do a search on them.