new boiler-oil or propane

Old 11-18-06, 11:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new boiler-oil or propane

We are going to replace a 50 yr old boiler with a new Buderus boiler and an indirect w/h. We are considering switching from oil to propane. We live in Ct. and would like to stay warm and be able to cook during power outages. I also have a jetted bathtub and would like to know what size w/h to go with. I have a cape cod house with 1 1/2 baths. Any advice or questions to ask when we get estimates would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 11-18-06, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Go to http://warmair.net There you can compare fuel cost for where you are . This will tell you what fuel to use

Old 11-18-06, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Oil vs. Propane

Regardless of which fuel you choose, you will not have heat during a power outage unless you have a generator.

Your dealer should be able to determine the correct size water heater for your needs.

Many propane dealers charge a continuing fee for the use of the tank. If you change propane dealers, there is usually some type of charge for the tank unless you buy it outright. By owning your own tank, you can shop for the best price. Leased or loaned tanks must be filled by the tank owner. Don't fall for any kind of "special deal" (LP or oil) because you are a new customer. These special prices usually evaporate pretty quickly.

Old 11-18-06, 02:36 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dcgelinas
...would like to stay warm and be able to cook during power outages...
Ditto what Grady sed, and the stove won't work either.

You need electricity to open the gas valves.

Old 11-19-06, 05:20 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No benefit

Originally Posted by dcgelinas
We are going to replace a 50 yr old boiler with a new Buderus boiler and an indirect w/h. We are considering switching from oil to propane. We live in Ct. and would like to stay warm and be able to cook during power outages. I also have a jetted bathtub and would like to know what size w/h to go with. I have a cape cod house with 1 1/2 baths. Any advice or questions to ask when we get estimates would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I guess there would be no benefit to switching to propane in this case. I didn't want to have to deal with an oil tank anymore. Mine is not leaking yet but I didn't want to wake up one morning to oil in my basement. Has anyone had a tank replaced recently and what to replace it with. I've seen one advertised here made by ZCL. It's a fiberglass tank. I think they are made in Canada. Any ideas?

Last edited by dcgelinas; 11-19-06 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You could get a pan for under the tank there. Also make sure the tank slopes to the drain hole .So any water or dirt silt in it can get out into the oil filter right a way. This will help make the tank last longer also.

Old 11-20-06, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Oil Tank

If the oil tank is over 30 years old, I would suggest replacing it at the same time as the boiler.
Roth makes a double walled tank which carries with it a warranty which will compensate the homeowner up to $1million for damages should the tank leak.
http://www.roth-usa.com/usa/Pfueltank-a.html

A far less expensive option woud be this from General Filters.
http://www.generalfilters.com/oil-yeller.php

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: