still have a problem second floor heat

Old 11-23-06, 07:07 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
still have a problem second floor heat

Have a hot water system, with flow tees going to all drops. Taco 007 circulating pump. I get great heat to the first floor, second floor, no heat at all in one room. This is a single zone install, that was working. i have 22 psi at the boiler and two loops going to the second floor when i bled the upstairs one of the loops is heating and the second is not. the one that is working bled in about ten seconds and is great, it had a single bleeder. the one that is not working has two bleeders on it one at the floor on the flow up and one at the middle of the loop after the fins and before the straight pipe on the return. When i bleed the first one before the fins it gets hot right there but not through the entire baseboard. when i bleed the second it never pulls hot water. what am i doing wrong?

Old 11-23-06, 12:13 PM
You are probably doing nothing wrong. However, if the installer used 1/2" soft copper for the individual feeds, he may have made an air trap in the piping. It is very common and hard to get to flow with the pump on the return. The best way to try to remedy this is to make the cold radiator the only one that flow can go through and see if it will pop the air bubble out of it. That would mean close all other zones and all other radiator valves on that loop. The let the circulator run as long as it takes. If the boiler has a bypass loop on it, close that too. Once that loop gets circulation, you can return everything to normal. Also make sure the valve on tha cold loop is working properly.

Ken

Old 11-24-06, 04:37 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2nd Floor Cold Convector

I agree with Ken; try the things he mentioned; Grady mentioned the balancing valves; have you tried turning these to different positions with a screwdriver to see if they result in any improvement???

If not, you can try momentarily removing the bleeder valve from the cold convector to see if any water comes out.

If not take a bicycle pump & pump some air in using a neeedle valve (you may have to cut most of the needle off).

DO NOT USE a compressor.

Many times a small amount of air pressure is enough to remove a blockage or an air pocket somewhere in the piping.

Old 11-24-06, 08:37 AM
K
Tried that stuff will this work?

The two sets of pipes that go to the second floor are right next to each other, i'm about ready to try this. cut the pipes to the bad section and cap them at the supply, they are half inch. connect the other two supply pipes (three quarter inch) going to the back room which is about 6 foot of slant fin which would add 17 feet from the front room. what do you guys think?

Old 11-24-06, 03:07 PM
K
water out of both sides no air ... could it be just a block between the two bleeders?

Old 11-24-06, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water

It's hard to believe there is a blockage between the bleeders. How much water did you bleed? Did you ever get hot water out of both bleeders? If you did not, try bleeding at least a gallon thru the downstream one.

Old 11-24-06, 04:40 PM
K
Thanks for answering Grady ..... i pushed about 6 gallons through both sides ... filled a gallon pot that many times so i know i'm close on that ... got hot water on the return side, only lukewarm on the fill side ....

Old 11-24-06, 04:41 PM
K
BTW what kind o fish are those that you're not working over?

Old 11-24-06, 06:43 PM
It sounds like the airlock is on the supply side. You were probably getting the same water on both ends but the end opposite the fins will have all the heat removed from the water. That would indicate that the hotter water is available on what you are calling the return side and no water is coning toward the supply side from the system. Is there a valve anywhere or is it a piece of finned copper baseboard?

Ken

Old 11-25-06, 03:48 AM
K
there is a balancing valve, (which i now know, thanks Grady) just after the mon flo t, it is finned baseboard with two bleeders, i have tried the balancing valve in all directions and no difference.

Old 11-25-06, 10:55 AM
K
fixed ... rube style i guess

i put in a saddle valve and it acted as another bleeder for me and now it's all working ... thanks to you all!!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-06, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Rube

Sometimes you have to inovate. The important thing here is you got things working. Congrats

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: