Leak at glass sight tube - Utica boiler

Old 11-25-06, 07:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leak at glass sight tube - Utica boiler

I have a Utica PEG150CIDE steam boiler ~ 5 years old. Just recently the joint at the bottom of the glass sight tube steams while the boiler is running, I'm assuming its water thats leaking and the steam is just due to the heat of pipe at the bottom of the tube - I could be wrong. I turned off the tap at the top of the tube which was a mistake as overnight I ended up with a wet basement. I have tightened the nuts at the top and bottom of the tube but do not want to overtighten in case the tube shatters. Why would this leak occur and how can I prevent it ?

Old 11-25-06, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Leak

The leak occurs due to the rubber washers on each end of the sight glass drying out. Shut down the boiler, valve off both ends of the sight glass & remove it carefully as not to shatter it.
Any plumbing supply house (not big box home center) should have replacement washers. When trying to remove or install the sight glass, give it a spray of window cleaner. This will help to lubricate the glass & make the rubber easer to slide.

Old 12-03-06, 02:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

thanks a lot for the advice - worked perfectly

Old 12-03-06, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up Way to go

It is a good idea to replace the washers every couple of years. Now that you know how to do it, it's easy maintenance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: