Which Valve to Balance Flow?

Old 11-27-06, 10:52 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which Valve to Balance Flow?

I am looking to balance the hot water flow in a hydronic system zone. The zone has one pump but splits to two seperate areas that "t" back together before interacting with the pump/boiler. The problem is that the shorter loop seems to get the lion's share of the flow (heat). I thought an easy fix would be to limit (restrict) the flow in the shorter loop with a valve. The questions is which valve is best for this aplication. It seems the options at the home center include ball, gate and stop valves.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-27-06, 02:20 PM
X
Your local plumbing supply house would probably have more options and better advice. A ball valve would likely suffice. I believe that typically it would be placed near the boiler return (near where you tee back together). On the supply side they can often create air and turbulence problems.

Old 11-27-06, 04:09 PM
Throttling

Many of the ball valve manufacturers state their valves shouldn't be used for throttling--off or on are the preferred settings. I'd think a gate valve would be a better choice.

Pete

Old 11-27-06, 04:56 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ask at the plumbing supply for a "circuit setter", they might know that term. Or just explain what you want to do and they should know what to sell you. I agree, don't use a ball valve.

Old 11-27-06, 05:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Balancing Valves

pjsny:

Your strategy of limiting the flow in the short loop to get better flow in the long loop is correct; this is a common problem in hydronics & is done with BALANCING VALVES.

These are by Taco & others & usually of brass & sweat into the mains, as Xiphias states, on the main returns; they usually have only a screwdriver slot for adjustment to prevent inadvertent tampering; they never close completely to protect the other components in the mains; there is also a combo purge & balance valve if you need a purge station, but they cost 3 times as much as the cost of just the BV.

For this reason, ball valves, etc. should not be used to balance the circuits.

You'll have to go to a plumbing supply house; it's unlikely the big box stores would carry this item.

Old 11-28-06, 06:28 AM
X
Excellent advice from everyone except me! Well, ok, I did say hit the supply house.

Old 11-28-06, 06:33 AM
P
Thanks everyone. Excellent response. I will look into the balancing valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: