Boiler pressure

Old 12-02-06, 04:46 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Boiler pressure

Can anyone help?

I have a combo oil fired and wood burning furnance, approx 27 years old, I notice that pressure is constantly building past 30#. I always need to open the relief valve to let some pressure out. Question is on the expansion tank behind the boiler when I press in the pin in the valve, should water or air come out? I suspect that this is my problem.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by boilerissue; 12-02-06 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Exp. Tank

You should get air out of the schrader. If you get water, the tank needs to be replaced.

Old 12-02-06, 12:40 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Could there be an issue with the PRV also ? If it were just the tank waterlogged, I wouldn't think you would need to constantly be letting out pressure. Sounds like you might have two problems ?

Old 12-03-06, 03:42 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pressure

Pressure relief valve I did change at first, since I thought that was faulty. Come to find out my expansion tank was water logged. ( Boy was that sucker heavy). Also, changed the water relief valve ( valve that controls water coming into the boiler) which was loaded with crud. Now I am good as new, got the wood fire going in the furnance and maintaining constant pressure at 15-18 lbs.

Thanks for your response.

Rick

Old 12-03-06, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up Good Work

Those tanks can be surprisingly heavy & really fool you if you're not prepared. Glad you got it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: