Timken Boiler Low Pressure

Old 12-08-06, 12:15 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Timken Boiler Low Pressure

My Timken Conversion unit, perhaps older than I am, at least 60 years, runs, sounds good, heats well, but just now doesn't get past .5 or .75 pounds of pressure. It no longer hisses or clangs, but the radiators get so hot you don't want to touch them, but more slowly than they did a few days ago. That is the boiler runs longer, not getting the steam up to high enough pressure.

The pressure regulator is set to 'cut in 3 lbs'.

The ambient, outside temperature is single digits in Chicago, but the house is staying warm enough, considering.

At the start of the season, I changed the facing position of the spreaders, the little 1 x 3 inch 'plates' that line the fire wall and spread the oil, so that they now match the pictures in the brouchures and the previous oil smell on ignition has vanished so I assume combustion is now more complete. I also changed the bleeder valve just above the boiler itself as it was steaming continuously. The boiler has worked fine and frequently since those changes several months ago.

What would allow the pressure to increase? I bleed the release valve everytime I add water, which has been much less frequently since changing the bleeder valve, for obvious reasons. I never open it when the boiler is fired up, although the directions seem to suggest that one should do that.

Yes I know it is old, and less efficient, but she and I have that in common. I also prefer motorcycles with no computers.

John
the-Timken-lover

Old 12-08-06, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Pressure

Increasing the pressure will likely do more harm than good. If it is heating well, leave it alone.

Old 12-14-06, 08:23 PM
T
Timken pressure

Yes I understand that, but I don't know how to increase the pressure anyway. I am going to look at the filter screen at the tank outlet tomorrow and perhaps the one in the carburator. I have been told there are nozzles in the spinner that often repair, but of course replacements are long gone. On repairman insisted that i replace it, and agrfeed to come and look at the cost of doing so, but then called back to say that he was not licensed to work in my town. ?

I am wondering if I could rfeplace it myself? Not an engineer or even close to being one.

Can you post a picture on this thing? How or where?

Old 12-15-06, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Pictures

We have no way of hosting pictures directly. You can post them on photobucket or similar photo hosting site & provide a link here.

Old 12-15-06, 05:41 PM
X
With the caveat that I know nearly nothing about steam, I was under the impression that a good steam system only needed about 0.5-1.5 psi to get the job done. Venting, cleaning, insulating mains properly, sizing to the EDR load, etc. all play into it.

Two books by Dan Holohan are probably worth reading: We Got Steam Heat, and The Lost Art of Steam Heating. Google to buy or try the local library to borrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: