Burner Igition

Old 12-09-06, 02:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Burner Igition

I recently tackled a feed line issue with my Burham Boiler with no problems for two days, however, it now appears I have some electrical issues. The aquastat is calling for heat and the circulator is running but the burner will not even attempt to start. I thought that it may be in a "Latch -Up" but when I reset is still does nothing. The reset lights operate as they should when resetting (amber & red lights alternate) but then they both turn off when I depress the button...and that is it. Neither of these lights are solid or flashing to indicate a problem. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

The voltmeter shows that I have 120v into the "Interuped iginitor oil primary" so I dont know if this is the problem or the sensor inside the beckett burner is the proble. Is there a way to test the interupter to see if this is the proble?

Last edited by Jimtree; 12-09-06 at 03:28 AM. Reason: New Information
Old 12-09-06, 09:06 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You installed this boiler 5 years ago...

Has it been serviced regularly ? i.e. filters/nozzle/cleaning every season ?

Old 12-09-06, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Carlin Primary?

With red & amber lights, it sounds like a Carlin primary control. I run into VERY few of these so I taxing my memory. Try holding the reset button in for 30-60 seconds. The lights may blink a time or two while doing so. There may be reset instructions on the underside of the control or if you still have the original paperwork which came with the boiler, there should be information on the control with them.

Old 12-11-06, 05:38 AM
J
Yes, it is a carlin and I determined that the control is faulty. The honeywell replacement is a R7184U and I will be installing it today. The amber light should light when the control is in intial startup. Anyway, I have voltage to the primary control but not on the other side to the blower motor so I suspect this is the problem. I even took the cover off the primary and one of the relay contacts has some obvious black marks, thus my conclusion.

Old 12-11-06, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Carlin to Honeywell

Be careful with the wiring. As I recall, Carlin & Honeywell do not use the same color codes. If the cad cell is also Carlin, I suggest changing it as well. Not sure about Carlin cells but often you run into trouble with a White Rodgers cell on a Honeywell control. You can use a Honeywell cell on W/R controls but not the other way around.

Old 12-12-06, 09:07 AM
J
Smile

Well, the control was the problem and it appears to be working fine. I did find out the wiring colors were significantly different so I used the diagram to connect it. I also have a honeywell CAD eye, so all is good there as well. Thanks for the information.

Old 12-12-06, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Control

Glad you got it up & running. I figured I should give you a "heads up" on the color codes. I've seen people just swap one control for the other & wire it color for color. Not good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: