Watts Fill Valve Question

Old 12-14-06, 06:39 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Watts Fill Valve Question

The Watts fill valve on my hot water system will not let enough water in fast enough to let me to purge the air out, the pressure drops to fast to complete the job. Moving the lever to fast fill doesnít make much difference.
Can this be serviced by removing the top screws, opening it up and reassembling the unit?
Thanks for any info.

Old 12-14-06, 08:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Talking

Originally Posted by mrbizness1
The Watts fill valve on my hot water system will not let enough water in fast enough to let me to purge the air out, the pressure drops to fast to complete the job. Moving the lever to fast fill doesnít make much difference.
Can this be serviced by removing the top screws, opening it up and reassembling the unit?
Thanks for any info.
Do you have a well or city water? It is more difficult with a well because the pressure is usually much lower. If you have hard water or galvanized water pipes, it could also get restricted by minerals or rust. What I will often do in such a case, is I will fast fill the boiler till the pressure is about 25psi (the relief will blow off at 30psi), then purge the loop, keeping the fast fill up till you are done purging. If the pressure drops too much, shut off the purge valve till the pressure builds up again. When you are done purging, make sure you drop the fast fill lever, or you will find yourself standing in a puddle after the boiler exceeds 30psi. If your water feeder takes forever or just doesn't fill, you could run a hose from a spigot or water heater drain to the drain valve on the boiler, bypassing the water feeder (if you can't get a replacement right away). Just be sure not to exceed 30 psi. When you are done, make sure the pressure is somewhere between 12 & 20 psi, so that thermal expantion doesn't push it past 30 psi. I wouldn't reccomend taking it apart and cleaning it. How long would it take to fill your basement with water if it malfunctioned? Replace it if neccesary.

Old 12-15-06, 03:50 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Isn't there a screen on the bottom that can be removed and cleaned ?

No, don't take the valve apart, if you can get it back together, it will never work properly again. How do I know ???

Old 12-15-06, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
No, don't take the valve apart, if you can get it back together, it will never work properly again. How do I know ???
Sounds like a "been there, done that" comment.

Old 12-17-06, 05:54 PM
M
Thanks for all the replies.
Rather than taking apart the valve or replacing it I installed a hose connection into the domestic hot water pipe that comes out of the boiler.
Then I hooked up a washing machine pressure hose and connected the other end to the boiler drain valve, this forced hot water through the system until all the air was removed. I also found the source that caused the air to enter the system which was a pinhole leak in a heating pipe return line so now I have a new project to work on.

Old 12-22-06, 09:56 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Bypass

You could also do the following.

After the anti-backflow valve put in a tee. Run one branch through a ball valve and the other branch through your feed valve. Then when it is time to fast fill, just open up the ball valve. Then another tee to rejoin the two branches. Then you can other run through the feed or direct through the ball valve. I'd leave the handle off that ball valve though if you have future mechanical geniuses in the house under the age of 18... ;-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: