boiler stops off and on

Old 12-15-06, 10:56 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
boiler stops off and on

oil heater approx 5 years old. serviced ~8 months ago by technician. nozzle, filter and ?flame sensor replaced. worked well but now stops off and on.

thought we might be low on oil. tank filled.

hitting reset will turn it on and it will cycle for days and die again.

does the aquastat setting make a difference? i had played with them when i was having trouble with too much pressure and relief valve leaking. this was fixed by emptying the water logged pressure tank.

i am handy with tools but need directions where to start.

will post from home about the make and model and other info as needed.

Old 12-15-06, 06:43 PM
A
here is some info on make/model

the burner is beckett afg, the controller is honeywell, and the boiler is dunkirk.
is their a online service manual for beckett burner available. i had resetted the system in AM today and it is still running.

Old 12-15-06, 07:06 PM
B
If you have to reset it the control is going into lockout. It will only do that if it doesn't fire or doesn't sense that it fired. Did the tech check the resistance of the cad cell (flame sensor) when he changed it? It has to be checked with the burner running. There are many reasons why the thing could be locking out. You really want an experienced oilheat tech to look at it, especially if it doesn't fail to ignite consistantly. There are many things to check and you need special tools and skills with oil burners.

Old 12-15-06, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Have to reset

As said, there are numerous things which will cause this to happen & an experienced oil heat service tech can tell a lot when he/she resets the burner. The next time it happens, don't reset it & call a service person.

Old 12-15-06, 10:46 PM
It is quite possible that the filter is restricted. Do you have overhead oil lines? If so, it could be air getting to the pump that is trapped overhead. What kind of control does it have (where the reset button is)?

Old 12-17-06, 04:13 PM
What I find more often with the new style safety controls (H7184) is that if the burner is not setup correctly, they will lock out on a long run but not on short runs. The only way to know what is happening is to check flame sensor ohms. If you have a new style control and don't have the plug in tester, it can be a pain in the neck. Even though manufacturers say that the new ignitors can't be weak or intermittent, it happens and could also be a factor. If it was my house (and I wasn't a burner tech of course) and entering the cold season I would have someone check it and set it up with instruments. Then if it went out again, I would ask them to put the datalogger on it. You already know it is intermittent, the last thing you want is to play with this problem all winter. Put the On Watch on it and wait until it malfunctions again and you will have it nailed.

Ken

Old 12-18-06, 04:19 PM
A
no testing was done last time

thanks for all the replies/ suggestions. will call the tech when next failure occurs. is there a online tech manual to read or a electronic copy about beckett burner. thanks in advance

Old 12-18-06, 04:29 PM
There is nothing specific to the Beckett burner. You may find a basic oil burner troubleshooting manual out there somewhere but it isn't just a broken part. Combustion is dynamic and not only does it involve several components, but they have to work in harmony to continue without a problem. Add a liquid fuel from a tank of unknown cleanliness and you have a complicated problem that must be troubleshot from start to finish. If the motor had failed, you could probably find that yourself. The intermittent problem is a whole different animal. Good luck and let us know the result.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: