hmmm...Another air bleeding question

Old 12-22-06, 04:34 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hmmm...Another air bleeding question

Hi folks,
I have a 3 family (from the late 1930's) and live on the third floor. Each floor has a separate burner. I have a Smith gas burner that is about 3 years old. I believe I have air in the system. There are baseboards, but no bleeders on them. It sounds like a river is sloshing back and forth when the heat is on. I've tried searching around a bit, but can't seem to get this right. I do know there are two systems. I do know the approximate area that I should be working...I had a plumber rip me off when I had this problem before, and I thought I knew what he did.
Coming in to the furnace there are two pipes. Each has a (knob w/ a spigot) and a lever to open and close right below that. There is also a know with spigot on the furnace about knee high. I know there is a combination that I'm supposed to do to let the air out...just not sure what it is...Thanks for your help if anyone can throw in their 2 cents..I would certainly appreciate it and promise to pass it on :-)

Old 12-22-06, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Air

I moved your question here because you are asking about a boiler (hot water heat).

How much pressure is on the system? It should be 15-18# presuming the boiler is in the basement. If you can post some pictures of the boiler & near boiler piping, it could be a huge help in trying to help you. Since we can't post pictures directly on this site, I suggest posting them on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site & providing a link here.

Old 12-23-06, 02:37 PM
L
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Grady
I moved your question here because you are asking about a boiler (hot water heat).

How much pressure is on the system? It should be 15-18# presuming the boiler is in the basement. If you can post some pictures of the boiler & near boiler piping, it could be a huge help in trying to help you. Since we can't post pictures directly on this site, I suggest posting them on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site & providing a link here.
Hi, thanks for moving this to the proper place and your suggestion! The pressure appears to be ~20psi right now...I'm not sure if this is too high, it's in the basement and heats only my 3rd floor condo. I've posted a picture of it here:
http://web.mac.com/cjv2/iWeb/Site/Library.html
Happy Holidays and Thanks!

Old 12-23-06, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air

In your photo 0031, there are two yellow handled & two green wheeled valves. You need to close the yellow handled ones & attach a hose to one of the green ones. Open the hand wheel & allow water to flow until you no longer get bubbles. Move the hose to the other green valve & repeat. It will likely take several 5 gallon buckets full before you get the air out. Ideally, you should get hot water with no air bubbles. BTW, 20# is not too high. For purging purposes, you might even want to increase the pressure to 25# but no higher.

Old 12-24-06, 08:43 AM
L
Thanks, I'm going to give this a shot today. I'm assuming I have the thermostat up to make sure the boiler is running while I'm doing this? I appreciate you taking the time!
Happy holidays!
Chris

Old 12-24-06, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Purging

Since the circulator is on the return side, it really doesn't matter if the boiler is running or not but if you are trying to get hot water out of the purge valve, then yes, have it running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: