New install gone wrong

Old 12-23-06, 10:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New install gone wrong

I had a new High Efficency Boiler installed last weekend and there was a problem. I called the guy and he came back and re-piped the whole thing saying he had "screwed up". I am a big diy'er and thought I would save the 3 days it would have taken me to do. Now that I have lost confidence in him I need to figure out how it is really supposed to be done.

Can you offer any links or technical info as to how the piping is supposed to be installed? It is a condesing boiler with a small expansion tank and 5 zones. The primary zone is the hot water tank.

We have tons of issues, air in the lines, no heat, continually running pumps (even when the zone is off) and others too.

Thanks for any help. I am going to try and post a couple of pics tonight or tomorrow so check back.

Old 12-23-06, 10:37 AM
X
What brand and model boiler. What kind of heat emitters (radiators, baseboard, etc.), any other info you can provide.

Old 12-23-06, 12:21 PM
air

Your circulators could be air locked, especially if they have built in IFC valves. You may have to "burp" them to clear the air. Show some photos that cover the pump, air purger, fill valve, etc. A good setup should self purge in a few days by itself once the water is circulating. Is there a heat call from the stats causing the circulators to run?

Pete

Old 12-23-06, 04:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
New Boiler

Do you have the installation manual? Most show piping & wiring diagrams. If you don't have it, please give us the make & model so we can provide you with a link to the manual.

Old 12-24-06, 01:15 PM
I find situations like this very disturbing. You will generally be told to get 3 prices. Then what? If you pick the low one, you may very well get what you deserve. But if you pick one in the middle, you should be safe. I always include a dozen references and 'before and after' pictures so people can see that I have done a job like theirs in the past. I also include BBB and trade association membership certificates with my proopsal. You have just reached a worst-case scenario. You have lost confidence in your installer and now someone else who probably didn't get the job will have to ocme back and fix it. Be ready to pay dearly for that. And then if you add the repair cost to the install cost, see how that stacks up to your high bid that was probably from an expert in the installation business. I'm not trying to be critical or make you feel bad but every time I lose a bid to a hacker, it is one less good job for the year and one that will probably be a maintenance headache for the life of the system.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: