Heat Timer products...

Old 12-26-06, 11:43 AM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Heat Timer products...

Anybody have any experience with this company's product ?

They have a few items that seem comparable to the Tekmar stuff.
Haven't compared pricing yet...

http://www.heat-timer.com

-

Old 12-26-06, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Heat Timer

I've never used or even seen any Heat Timer stuff around here. I could be one of those regional things. Here, hardly anyone uses Carlin burners but go to New England & that's about all you see.

Old 12-26-06, 07:32 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never heard of them or seen them mentioned. Just read the install manual for the HWE-SS. Looks like a decent control. Fairly easy to manipulate the reset ratio. Has a 1hr boost feature for coming out of setback, which seems nice if you're thinking about keeping a night setback. Otherwise, the settings appear comparable to, say, the Taco PC700 (electronic guts of a tekmar 256, IIRC) and the tekmar 260. Pricing is comparable.

Last edited by xiphias; 12-27-06 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 06:26 PM
Talking Carlin

Originally Posted by Grady
I've never used or even seen any Heat Timer stuff around here. I could be one of those regional things. Here, hardly anyone uses Carlin burners but go to New England & that's about all you see.
The Carlin plant is about 7 or 8 miles north of me; next town over in Mass. I should stop in a for factory tour someday!

Pete

Old 12-27-06, 07:06 PM
X
Nothing against the Heat Timer stuff -- I don't know anything about it.

However, let me cast a vote for tekmar. It turns out that the PID logic in the control (260) running my boiler is actually learning. Over the past 8 weeks, the differential has spread out (~10F to now ~15F), and the target supply temperature for a given outdoor temperature has actually dropped 2-3F. Both lead to increased efficiency (long run times, less cycling; lower water temps).

The thing is accumulating data (I assume data like duration of thermostat calls, variability of supply temps, boiler on/off times, outdoor temps and how they relate to all of the above, etc. etc.) and using it to improve the overall system performance. How cool is that? All this with only a basic setup: boiler, 260 with outdoor and supply sensors, two simple-minded thermostats. No indoor feedback, timer, whatever.

Old 12-27-06, 08:19 PM
NJT
I'll probably end up with Tekmar also, just wondered if anyone heard of H-T ... I have a feeling that their lower end stuff may be imported from "the rim". Maybe their higher end is too...

A few years ago I installed a new Honeywell T'stat. It has an adaptive behaviour also. When I first installed it, it would over and undershoot, but after about a week or so it learns the response of the system and adjusts the anticipator accordingly. Nothing like a true PID controller of course.

I imagine It'll have some new tricks to learn when there's some outdoor reset going on...

Having spent the better part of the past couple days in the mech room, I can really see how outdoor reset and a mixing system would make a big diff. Can you say short cycles ? I never realized it was as bad as it is! I don't think my return water has come up to 120* in the past two days... not a good thing.

Old 12-27-06, 08:25 PM
X
Can't remember. Have you finished the heat loss? What boilers are you thinking about?

Old 12-27-06, 08:31 PM
Njt

Sounds like your ready for some creative return bypassing! 3-way mixing valve with a Tekmar 360 controller, simple throttle bypass, fancy variable speed circulator between the supply/return, Danfoss thermic valve, or three pumps for P/S. Deci$ion$, deci$ion$!! I almost grabbed the 360 on eBay last week, went very cheap!! Welcome to my world!!

Old 12-27-06, 10:22 PM
NJT
Originally Posted by xiphias
Can't remember. Have you finished the heat loss? What boilers are you thinking about?
Yes, EXCLUDING the 15K I would need for future plans of heating my shop, I'm right at 75K . I would install based on future plans, so say 90K is my target. I'm keen on the MPO, but the G115 looks good too.

Problem with the MPO is the big gap between the smallest one and the mediumest one. They really oughta come up with a model around 100K.

If you guys had to choose a boiler with a top flue outlet, which ones would you look at ? (my chimney is in a lousy location for rear vent, even though that's what I currently have. I've got THREE 90's in my vent pipe... yuk)

Originally Posted by radioconnection
or three pumps for P/S.
I would _like_ to go with the P/S ... cost may be an issue though.

Old 12-27-06, 10:32 PM
top vent

That really limits you, I think all of the three pass designs are have the flue collar on the back rear... Post a photo of the current flue pipe arrangement.

Old 12-27-06, 11:38 PM
NJT
What you guys think about Crown Tobago ? That would fit in so nicely into my space...

Pete, see yer PM for X-rated photos of my boiler. (Yes, it's _that_ bad!, right Grady ?)

Old 12-28-06, 07:20 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Crown Tobago

That would be a good choice and you could use just change the nozzle size later when you do the addition. Start with a 0.65 and later decide if you need a 0.75, 0.9 or 1.0 gpm nozzle. I've never heard any complaints about them and I think one of the Viessmann boys on the Wall uses them as the alternative choice and price point. Do you already have an indirect?

A crazy choice would be a Peerless Pinnacle -- but they do look good!

(mind if I see your boiler room?)

Old 12-28-06, 08:23 AM
X
Can't speak to the Crown. MPO and G115 would likely be my choices for oil. For rear-venting, why not turn the boiler sideways? Saw some pics of an install like that and it was really nice. Just change the layout a bit to provide the necessary access. Might even make cleaning/servicing easier.

Before you start getting too far into piping strategies, I think it would be advisable to first figure the range of water temps you'll need and base the piping and controls around that.

Also think about "total package cost" when comparing options. e.g., what does the total cost come to for, say, the MPO plus a tekmar plus any fancy piping and pumping (p/s) versus the G115 with the 2107 that if water temps allow might not need any fancy piping.

Old 12-28-06, 10:50 AM
Crown

I'm sure Grady can advise on using a Crown, they seem to be popular in his area and he seems to like them a lot!

I'd still consider going with a rear flue boiler, one 90 in the flue isn't going to be the end of the world! That SS chimney might be a good thing in the long run if the boiler you decide on has a low stack temp.

Pete

Old 12-28-06, 12:00 PM
NJT
It would still have to be two ... unless the new boiler could be moved so the opening is under the chimney opening, but that would mean moving other equipment around. I'll figure out something...

Old 12-28-06, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Crown

Nothing wrong with the Tobago except it is a pin style boiler & in general, I don't like pin boilers especially in a cold start application. Crown's CT is much more suited for this type of application.
NJ Trooper: Why do you think you haven't seen my boiler? LOL
Works fine just is piped bass akwards, a mixture of Taco 007 & B&G 100 circulators (one made in 1946), & a whole bank of R845 relays.

Old 12-28-06, 07:57 PM
NJT
My neighbor installed a Tobago last year. I didn't really care for having to remove the canopy to clean it... but, he doesn't think it needs to be cleaned, so I guess that's his problem.

I looked at the CT also, but then I'm back to rear flue.

C'mon now Grady, don't keep us in suspense! show us what ya got!

I've got one of them old old old B&G circs here in the museum. You want it? You'll have to pay shipping... it's been in a plastic bag since it was rebuilt about 30 years ago.

Old 01-02-07, 02:04 AM
Thumbs up Carlin Tour

The Carlin plant is about 7 or 8 miles north of me; next town over in Mass. I should stop in a for factory tour someday!

Pete
I've done the factory tour! It was fun seeing the equipment used to produce the controls, etc.. Checked out their testing lab, Got lot's of free literature and those yellow and red nozzle assembly adjustment gauges. It is about 40 miles east of me! My dream is to take the Buderus tour in Germany!

Old 01-02-07, 02:05 AM
Thumbs up Carlin Tour

Pete
I've done the factory tour! It was fun seeing the equipment used to produce the controls, etc.. Checked out their testing lab, Got lot's of free literature and those yellow and red nozzle assembly adjustment gauges. It is about 40 miles east of me! My dream is to take the Buderus tour in Germany!

As for Heat Timer products, their air vents are the best available. As for the rest, I have no idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: