Ancient Boiler Issues

Old 12-28-06, 08:48 AM
M
MEJ
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ancient Boiler Issues

I have a 1964 Arcoleader boiler that we decided to drain last night to get air out of the pipes. Draining was fine but the pressure dropped all the way to zero, and getting water back into the boiler was kind of a mystery. I believe it does not fill automatically as once I had to play with a few valves until I found one that let the water back in. We let it go about 18 psi. Leaving this valve open causes the pressure to just keep going way up, and letting some more water out the other side drops it some, so we just left it at the 18 and closed the valve.
Everything was alright, noise ended. Until today when I noticed that as soon as the heat shuts off, the main pipe that feeds one zone makes a really heavy scary knocking sound.
I'm not sure what I should do. I do want to just replace this dinosaur heater, but its not gonna happen for at least a few months. Any ideas?

Old 12-28-06, 08:51 AM
??

How does draining the system get air out of the pipes?? I must be missing something. Did you completely drain all of the water out of the piping and radiators, or did you bleed the air at the radiators?

Old 12-28-06, 09:49 AM
M
MEJ
Ok maybe I'm completely off track. I was under the impression that since I cant get the air directly out of the radiators, Draining all the water in the system and refilling it would also do the same. Is that not right? And now I have a bigger problem since I have no hot water.

Old 12-28-06, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You sure that you dont have bleeders on them.

I was under the impression that since I cant get the air directly out of the radiators,

One floor home 12 to 15 PSI is all you should need.
You have to get the air out of all the pipes now. If you have bleeders keep going around and let the air out

Old 12-28-06, 02:58 PM
You might want to be sure that the boiler is completely filled with water before letting it run long term. When you drained it what you really did was fill the entire system with air. Now what was a small problem is a major one. Like Ed said, find the bleeders on the radiation and let air out while system is not running. The bang may be steam and that would indicate too much heat where there should be water.

Ken

Old 12-28-06, 06:25 PM
M
MEJ
As it turns out that was exactly what I did.....All fixed now....thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: