Fuel oil life

Old 01-04-07, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel oil life

I know gasoline goes stale after a period of time, but does #2 fuel oil go bad and after how long? Just curious about which tank I should use first if it even matters.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-07, 10:12 AM
The following is from the following website:

http://beckettadditives.com/heating-oil-additive.asp

Today’s catalytically cracked #2 fuel oil generates solids at an accelerated rate causing a significant increase in fuel related service calls compared to the straight run fuels of years past. Microbial life, oxidation, water, changes in our distribution channels and other refinery changes also contribute to this rapid accumulation of gummy “black stuff” in today’s heating oil. This chemical activity is called repolymerization. It also contributes to poor combustion, excess soot, and smoke. Water and microbial life also promotes internal tank corrosion.

Yes, it makes a diference, 6 month is a long time with #2 oil.

Old 01-04-07, 10:36 AM
Wink

With Hello Here. Its just like the diesel in boats and trucks if its going to set for a time you have to put in a additive for sure . Or it will go bad .

Old 01-04-07, 11:14 AM
Additive

Any specific addditive come to mind?

Old 01-04-07, 03:04 PM
Wink

Did you check that www above

Old 01-04-07, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuel oil life

I'm with the others here but I have burned 20 year old fuel after testing & treating it.

Hello:
From whom is that UltraGuard available? Sounds like good stuff but I've not seen it around here.

Old 01-04-07, 08:15 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Grady, try: maybe he can hook ya up with a distributor.

Phone: (866) 645-2873
Fax: (440) 353-6247
E-mail: [email protected]
Products: Fuel stabilizer, sludge dispersant and
biocide, cold-flow product.
Brand Names: UltraGuard and Low Pour
Comments: Beckett entered the additives to help
fuel oil dealers solve a growing source of unscheduled
service calls: clogged nozzles, filters and
strainers.Now representing UltraGuard, a proven
fuel additive package from Fuel Management
Services,Beckett Additives offers customers a full
slate or training and marketing support.

Old 01-04-07, 08:21 PM
NJT
This looks like my kinda job, eh ?

http://www.fuelright.com/results.html

They sure seem to like their own products, don't they ?

Last edited by NJT; 01-04-07 at 08:28 PM. Reason: looks biased to me!
Old 01-05-07, 01:43 PM
There are a lot of variables to be considered there. One thing that is hard to accelerate in any test is time. It is one thing do make a machine that drops a bowling ball 100,000 times on a mattress to see if the springs will wear out but it is another to test something as inconsistent as fuel oil or gasoline. How can you replicate a year of oil sitting in a tank in less than a year. I think the answer is you can't. Because by the time you report the findings, they don't mean anything. I have two jars of fuel in my shop that I poured in 1992 when I started using one of the products on the chart from Troopers link. The product is probably the worst one on the chart and when I look at those jars, the untreated one is a nice straw color with a black sediment on the bottom. The other one is red which was part of the products distinction at the time and there is no sediment. That is 15 years. I bet those 2 quarts of fuel are worth a lot more now than when I poured them. My point is with catalytic cracking and all the differences in fuel, I doubt there is a perfect product to treat it anyway. I was looking at Becketts additive and also Global. Global wasn't around a few years ao so how do I compare that one. I am leaning toward Global but will look at the Fuel Right again. Trooper you sure are on a quest for knowledge. Keep it up. You spark many thoughts here on the forum that might be otherwise unthought.

Ken

Old 01-05-07, 02:37 PM
NJT
Thanks Ken, my friends and acquaintences have always said that I'm a "curious sort" ! Think that's what they meant ? ha ha ha

I would think that the Fuel Right is no better or worse than any of the others. I mean, what did they find, some new miracle chemicals or what ? To believe their product is _that_ much better than the others is... well ... to be gullible.

Beckett is a pretty well respected company, and they have the resources to commit to making sure they are marketing a quality product. From what I've seen there are quite a few oil delivery companies across the country that are buying and using ultraguard at the distributor level, in their own tank farms.

Caveat Emptor they say...

-