Iron pipe types / finishes

Old 01-06-07, 06:28 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Iron pipe types / finishes

I'm planning on building my manifolds of iron pipe...

I understand I should use "black iron" pipe. (MADE IN USA!)

Looking over the catalogs on-line, I find that black iron is made of MALLEABLE IRON. and the finish on this pipe is BLACK.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1885697&PMT4NO=0

cool, that's what I want, but:

I notice that GALVANIZED lists the material also as MALLEABLE IRON, only difference being the finish is GALVANIZED.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1885709&PMT4NO=0

So, presumably, if the material is the same, and only the finish is different, then one _could_ use galvanized finish ? I know the galvanized is more expensive of course, but if one happened to have boxes of galvanized fittings in his garage, is there any reason NOT to use it for a heating installation ?

Last edited by NJT; 01-06-07 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added links to examples
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 07:27 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe the correct answer is: no galvi in heating. Yet another "chemistry" issue.

Old 01-06-07, 07:35 AM
NJT
Daggonit! I hated chemistry in H.S. ! I guess I shoulda paid more attention!

(just kiddin', I actually enjoyed it)

I _so_ would have liked to save some $$$ and use that stuff that's been taking up space for so many years. My Father-in-law would be looking down and smiling too...

I guess the zinc will play havoc with the other parts of the system in some way ? Maybe an electrolysis issue also ?

Old 01-06-07, 07:58 AM
Who
I was under the impression that the only reason that you wouldn't use galvanized iron for hydronics is that fact that there are no advantages and no reasons to justify its additional cost. Once you paint the pipes, nobody will ever know... ;-)

If you can get it for free, different story completely.

Old 01-06-07, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Galvanized

I'm told the galvanizing will flake off & create problems. There are/can be issues with electrolysis as well. Black iron w/black fittings=no worries.

Old 01-06-07, 10:06 AM
Who
Actually... a bit of google hunting says it will react with glycol at higher temps and could bring the zinc into solution and create sludge. I have a few galv nipples in mine... it wasn't my choice though.

Old 01-06-07, 10:09 AM
NJT
I was just out in the garage rummaging through the boxes... found very little 1-1/4 anyway, so I guess it's moot. I did find a couple 90* and 45*street in black iron though, so I saved myself a few bucks right there. Too bad there wasn't a whole box of 1-1/4 x 3/4 tees... anybody need a half-dozen 2 in galv elbows ?

BTW Pete, if yer readin' this, the black elbows I found were manf by WARD, and given the age of these, I'm pretty sure they're a USA manf... maybe the new stuff is imported though. Anyone know if WARD still is USA manf ??

Maybe I won't need heat this winter ? It's 72* !!! here in central NJ ... and it's January! Think I'll go cut the grass.

-

Old 01-06-07, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ward

Trooper:
I think they are still American made. http://www.wardmfg.com/History.asp

I could use the 2" galvanized ells but it would cost more to ship them than the cost of buying locally. If I get to Joisey, I might take 'em off your hands. You might want to check with your oil company. They might buy them for piping oil tanks which is why I would want them.

Hey, go easy on that grass cutting thing. I'd rather take a beating than mow this place.

Old 01-06-07, 01:45 PM
galvanized

The zinc will raise holly cain (big time electrolysis) with any interfacing copper fittings transistioning to the galvanized pipe.

Old 01-06-07, 06:11 PM
Who
I have some galv nipples between iron fittings. I think there are 4 on my system, should I be worried?

I was pretty strong against galvanized during my job but we were running out of time... :-/

I was under the impression that electrolysis wasn't much of a factor is a closed system (so now I worry about 2 dialectric fittings behind finished walls 8 years ago since I later heard that they were prone to leak and that was more of a problem than what they are supposed to stop).

Old 01-06-07, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Galvanized

A piece of galvanized between two pieces of black probalby won't cause a problem. It's the galvanized to copper connection which creates the biggest trouble.

Old 01-06-07, 06:18 PM
galvanized

I wouldn't lose sleep over black iron on galvanized... Galvanized to copper, maybe. Dielectric leak makers in the wall, insomina!! Big time.

Sorry.

Pete

Old 01-06-07, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Di-electric leak makers

Insomnia for sure. I forgot about that part of Who's post. In my crystal ball, I see someone cutting open a wall but the image is fuzzy who could it be? Maybe another $20 will help clear the image.

Old 01-06-07, 08:43 PM
Who
Let me finish the basement first... it has taken me forever! Maybe I should print the before drywall pix and then stick them to the walls down there in the two spots? LOL

Old 03-10-08, 09:45 AM
R
Who, Was wondering if you have had any problems with the few galvanized nipples in your system since your post (1-06-07). I have 2 nipples and a couple of L's in my otherwise all black pipe 1937 era system. My main concern is I have just added a second zone using o2 barrier pex which goes thru crawl spaces.... was planning on adding "hydronic heating grade" propylene glycol (probably hercules cro-tek) to prevent freeze bursts in the pex... I really do not want to take out the ancient galvanized fittings which are between the furnace and the even older black pipe original system... Appreciate any thoughts... Thanx Rick

Old 03-10-08, 11:03 AM
Who
No problems so far but I don't run glycol. I'm not the least bit concerned about them.