15-58 on it's way

Old 01-06-07, 10:13 AM
NJT
15-58 on it's way

Finally got a good deal on ePay on a 15-58, should be here Tuesday.

Hopefully it will stay warm enough that I can shut down for a few hours and slap it in there. Curious to see how it's gonna effect the delta-T .

WXman is calling for snow Tuesday night though...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 11:23 AM
Who
Grundfos... the second most famous thing to come out of Denmark! ;-)

Let me know if you don't need the flow check... I think I still remember how to get it out. I'm up to 3 on my system now. One that I had for the main loop, one that came in the boiler and an as yet untested one on the idle indirect. I will get one more if I zone the house front to back.

Right now, I'm looking for a really little Grundfos. A 15-10F with flanges would be perfect but I can't find one. I might just use a 10-16 - I want a 25 or 33watt pump for the radiant. The supplier saw nothing for 15-10s that weren't bronze. I did get a 10-16 with a timer and thermostat for domestic once I get a layout for it, but I was stupid and didn't realize that it came in a sweat version until a day before it arrived.

You'll like the 15-58 - it's pretty quiet - you won't need 2 of those speeds but it still is fun shifting gears! ;-)

Old 01-06-07, 06:15 PM
Talking Grundfos

Jeff, you really, really need a little PIC controller monitoring the supply/return temps and adjusting the pump accordingly...

Pete

Old 01-06-07, 08:00 PM
a thought...

It was posited to me early this fall that "Circulators love to run. Zone valves don't like staying open forever." If you're setting up a system that circulates a lot, circs are worth considering.

Between any truth in that, plus the flexibility of a circ-zoned system (e.g., the Taco I-series with outdoor reset built in so you could run a mixed radiation system like radioconnection's without a lot of fancy mixing), plus the imminent (next year or two) arrival of all kinds of new circs (low power draw, residential delta-P, yada yada), I'd go with circulators.

Old 01-06-07, 10:31 PM
NJT
oh no, don't tell me...

Looks like my whole plans may have changed.

I discovered this afternoon what appears to be a very small leak between sections, inside the combustion chamber. Swung the door open to take a look at the burner head and see how it looks now that all the flue passages are open (it looks fine, just like it should) and saw this tiny little puddle, like two drops of water on the floor of the chamber. A mirror and flashlight shows what appears to be the source of the drops as a small pinnypoint leak between sections. I probably would never have noticed this if it hasn't been so warm this winter. The boiler was off all day.

Grady's suggestion is go with low-limit instead of cold-start to keep 'er warm the rest of the winter. Might cost a few bucks extra in oil, but if I can keep from replacing before spring comes, I'd rather do that, than have to replace in an emergency. Why does everything break at once ?

Old 01-06-07, 10:34 PM
Who
Ouch dude... It's really nice that you have Grady in your corner because that's a really tough blow.

Old 01-07-07, 06:12 AM
Why does everything break at once? Because it can. Just ask my truck!

Bummer. If I still had my old boiler, I'd give it to you.

How about we do some "system triage" in case it gives out. Mind starting a new thread on the heat loss, rad type and amount, etc.? Let's figure up a crisis, moderate, better, set of scenarios.

Old 01-07-07, 07:03 AM
Unhappy boiler?

Jeff, what kind of boiler is it?

Pete

Old 01-07-07, 08:05 AM
NJT
Originally Posted by xiphias View Post
Mind starting a new thread on the heat loss, rad type and amount, etc.? Let's figure up a crisis, moderate, better, set of scenarios.
Sounds good... DONE!