High Pressure in Boiler

Old 01-07-07, 09:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question high pressure in boiler

I have a Peerless wb-4 boiler with a beckett head (model AFG), My problem is that the pressure is reaching 30 psi then releasing the pressure relief valve, leaking water in the amount of approx 3 gallons/day. I've not changed this yet however the valve IS opening up at 30 psi. The temperature is going up to 180 farenhieght. I have the acustat set at a low of 130 and a high of 150 with the differential set at 10. My recent work on the boiler was a tune up and cleaning, the only thing i did different was clean the fan intake as there was a lot of dust in there; which is when this problem started.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
High pressure in Boiler

The most common cause for this is either a full expansion tank or if you have one with an air valve on it, the bladder may have failed. If the second is the case, replacement of the tank is about your only option.

If you can post some pics of the boiler & near boiler piping (including the tank) I can tell you which you have. Pics can be posted on photobucket or similar photo hosting site & a link provided here.

I'm moving this thread to the boiler forum.

Old 01-08-07, 07:02 PM
W
I'm not sure how to check the expansion tank. It has a pre-charged pressure of 12 psi, the max working pressure is 100 psi and finally a max temperature of 240 F. I checked the bottom valve for psi pressure, what should it read? I then released the bottom valve and I'm getting no pressure. Does this mean that the expansion is no good or can it be filled with air from the bottom valve? Thanks for your help here.

Old 01-08-07, 07:11 PM
Wink

If you got no air did you get water then? You have to have air on the one side of the bladder. Like Grady said. Post a picture if you can

Old 01-08-07, 07:19 PM
pressure

Originally Posted by woodstock93 View Post
I'm not sure how to check the expansion tank. It has a pre-charged pressure of 12 psi, the max working pressure is 100 psi and finally a max temperature of 240 F. I checked the bottom valve for psi pressure, what should it read? I then released the bottom valve and I'm getting no pressure. Does this mean that the expansion is no good or can it be filled with air from the bottom valve? Thanks for your help here.
The system has to be at zero pressure to read the bladder pressure properly using a tire gauge on the Schreader (sp?) valve on the bottom of the expansion tank.

Old 01-09-07, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bladder tank pressure

If nobody has messed with it, the most likely cause for no pressure in the bladder tank is a bad bladder. Once in a great while, the schrader will leak but that is extremely rare. As Radioconnection said, to properly check the pressure on the tank, the system pressure has to be at zero.

Old 01-09-07, 08:44 PM
W
Hey all thanks for your replies here. I have pictures here now however i can't find how to post them up, I'm hoping you can assist me in that too. There is no pressure after checking on the bottom valve nor is there water coming out. The expansion tank is piped off the bottom of one of the air scoops for one of the two heating zones I have here. The boiler is also making hot water for the house.

Old 01-09-07, 08:47 PM
D
About posting a pic

You can post an url (members will have to copy and paste) since the code is off. Use photobucket or the sort.

Old 01-09-07, 09:06 PM
Lightbulb Tankless coil leaking????

Shut off the water to your feeder. If the relief valve continues to blow off, you could have a leak in the tankless coil. The expantion tank is more likely, but consider all the possibilities. Could be the water feeder is over feeding too. A little sediment could be causing it to stick.

Old 01-11-07, 09:03 PM
W
thanks for the information how to post a picture here . ( hope it works now .)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/woodstock93/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/woodstock93/IMG_0004.jpg

isnt there a way to post the whole album ? im unfamiliar with photo- bucket. guess i'll read up on that now too .

How do i check for a leak in the tankless coil? I dont see any water indicating a leak outside the boiler. My plan is to change the expansion tank due to no pressure in it .

Thanks again for all your help here.

Old 01-12-07, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changing tank

Couple of suggestions for when you change the tank: Turn off every valve you can find as well as the power to the boiler. Drain only enough water to drop the pressure to zero on the boiler gauge. When you remove the tank be prepared for a lot of weight. Before installing the new one, replace the horizontal nipple with two shorter ones with a ball valve between them. The addition of a valve will make checking or changing the tank the next time a lot easier.

Old 01-14-07, 10:03 AM
W
I bought the new expansion tank. It's a bit bigger than the one I had there. If you were able to see those photos I posted you could see how the tank was piped off the air intake placing it in front of and to the right of the burner. What i would like to do is move it to the left and back of the burner because if I replace it right there, that will block access to my cleaning the burner in the future. The question is this; how important is it whether or not the tank is located directly off the air intake or is it sensible to pipe it off like its done here already? Is one method better than the other and are there some drawbacks to the way its piped like this now?
Again, I appreciate all the feed back here. Many thanks.

Old 01-14-07, 10:48 AM
Post Expantin tank location/tankless coil leak check

Ok, the expantion tank can be located pretty much anywhere, as long as you pipe it off the same tapping. It can be mounted in the position it is in, sideways, or upside down and as far away as you like. Use hangars and/or strap iron (the stuff that is holding it up now) to support the piping and tank. If the new one is a bit bigger, then you probbably got a #60 instead of a #30. That won't hurt anything, but it probbably cost you about $10+ more and take up a little more room. Now, to check the tankless coil, there is only 2 possible places for excess water to come in. One is a water feeder that leaks past the setpoint, the other is a leaky tankless coil. To find out if you have a leaky tankless, shut off the valve going to your water feeder (it looks like your water feeder (little green thing) is on the left of the oil filter). If the relief valve continues to blow off, then you can say that either the tankless coil is leaking, or the shut-off valve isn't closing completely. Now, about that...mixing valve. I reccomend picking up a Watts mixing valve from a plumbing supply store or one of those big "orange box" stores and installing it per the instructions included instead of a ball valve.