Flow Problem

Old 01-08-07, 03:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flow Problem

I have a two zone hot water heat system, The first floor works fine. The second floor does not work at all. We had someone come to check it and they said that the circulator pump was bad. I replaced that and nothing changed. The pipe is very hot on both sides of the circulator for the second zone but as i follow the pipe it gets colder. I have bled the radiators upstairs several times but there doesnt appear to be any air in the system. there is one section of the zone that is a small pipe that runs up to a bathroom that does work but it also is located closer to the boiler than the two big room radiator pipes. Any help would be great, Thanks

Old 01-08-07, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
More questions than answers

Does the circulator run when the thermostat is calling for heat?
Is the circulator properly installed (arrow pointed the right way)?
What is the pressure on the boiler?

Old 01-08-07, 03:53 PM
S
I can hear the circulator running, and it is installed in the right direction( same direction as the other pump). The pressure on the boiler is a little over 5 psi

Old 01-08-07, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No heat to second floor

You don't have enough pressure on the boiler. You need 12-15#.

Old 01-08-07, 04:02 PM
zone valves

You probably lost the pressure when you changed the pump.

Do you have two circulators; one for each zone?

Or, do you have one circulator and a zone valve for each zone?

If only one circulator and zone valves, you probably had a bad zone valve head problem on the inoperative zone or low pressure to begin with.

Pete

Old 01-08-07, 04:10 PM
S
I have two pumps, one for each zone, How can I get the pressure up?

Old 01-08-07, 04:16 PM
pressure

There should be a water valve that controls the boiler fill water. Usually there's a ball valve or gate valve before a pressure reducing valve (sometimes a backflow preventor is part of the package). Opening the valve on the supply should allow the boiler to add water until it reaches the pressure set by the presure reducing valve. In your case that would be in the area of 15#. If the valve is open, the PRV might be clogged internally and not regulating the pressure as it should. You're sure the new circulator is running, right? It hums and gets warm? Sometimes those old gauges clog up and lie.

Old 01-08-07, 04:49 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
You should also make sure you don't have any trapped air in the piping. Bleeding/purging should be done depending on your system.

(says the guy who just forgot to bleed his Friday after redoing the section of pipe that had a spring loaded flow check run under a capped diverter tee - talk about noisy - I was so pleased once it was out that I forget to bleed - until I come home today and the house is 67 and t-stat is 69 and the basement is really nice and warm)

Old 01-08-07, 05:14 PM
S
I upped the pressure in the system to about 15 and it didnt seem to do much. The gages on the boiler should be good because it is brand new. (previous tenents intalled it and didnt opt for the warentee, go figure)

Old 01-08-07, 06:29 PM
air

Note the advice and comments Who posted before. Did you drain the system to change the circulator, or are there isolation valves before and after it.
You might have air trapped in the system at this point. Or, if the circulators have built in IFCs you may have to "burp" them to release trapped air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: