Too much air in Rads

Old 01-14-07, 10:55 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too much air in Rads

We have an older bungalow with a basement with hot water radiator heat. We need to bleed two of the main floor rads every other day in order to keep the psi on the furnace under 20. We also notice that the furnace runs for at least 2 hrs and then the rads are red hot and untouchable. We notice that the heat does not come on when the temperature is below 20 celsius even though we have the thermostat set for 22 celsius. Help????? Who should we call....plumber or electrician or furnace repair guy....or can we fix this easily ourselves?????
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-07, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I think you should check for any boiler repair in the phone book there. Call them and be there when they come. So you can go over the boiler with them and learn what you can do later on to make everything work right. The first thing Id say check the expanison tank.

Old 01-14-07, 11:37 AM
N
Thanks Ed, I think it is the small red tank located in the ceiling above the furnace...is this right. Is there anywhere I could learn how to check the expansion tank or does this have to be done by a professional?

Old 01-19-07, 02:27 PM
M
There Are Two Things That Can Raise Your Pres. At Your Boiler Tank Or Feed Valve...to Check If Is The Tank Turn Off The Feed Valve,turn Up The Tstat If The Presure Goes Up W/feed Closed Change A Dio.tank Or Drain A Conv. Tank...mike

Old 01-20-07, 05:31 AM
I suggest calling in a heating prof. It sounds like there's a couple of things going on. High pressure from a waterlogged exp tank, but your system may be overshooting the high limit control also.

Old 01-20-07, 12:03 PM
N
Originally Posted by MICKS69RAGTOP
There Are Two Things That Can Raise Your Pres. At Your Boiler Tank Or Feed Valve...to Check If Is The Tank Turn Off The Feed Valve,turn Up The Tstat If The Presure Goes Up W/feed Closed Change A Dio.tank Or Drain A Conv. Tank...mike
Thanks Mike, I have had the boiler checked and they also opened the secondary (old) conversion tank. Pressure seems better now.

Old 01-20-07, 12:06 PM
N
Originally Posted by HVACGuy
I suggest calling in a heating prof. It sounds like there's a couple of things going on. High pressure from a waterlogged exp tank, but your system may be overshooting the high limit control also.
Thanks for the advice, as I mentioned to Mike we have had the boiler checked and the repairman opened the old expansion tank. The pressure seems to be staying lower. We are also checking with a plumber regarding the rads and the need to bleed them daily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: