Do it Myself?

Old 01-16-07, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do it Myself?

Some background is that i have a 900sqft house and a boiler large enough to heat my entire block. Last year alone i spent 1300 dollars on oil and its just me and i kept my house at 60 all year. So this past summer i asked two people to give me an estimate on replacement of boiler. I am guessing they don't want to do since i never got a written quote. But one did say somewhere around 4000. One question is about price. Just a general idea of cost of equipment and cost of labor. The one who did call said the new boiler was about 2000. My system was set up with a dual system but i took the hot water off the boiler to eliminate using oil in the summer.
And the next question is is this something i could do on my own. One i am a hydraulic mechanic on aircraft for 16 years, i have dabbled in plumbing and have wired many things in a house. So i guess i am saying the mechanics of the whole job does not scare me. Plus i don't want to wait two years for this to get done. So any insight, criticisms, and the such would be much appreciated. And thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 12:38 PM
Wink

Out of the box here. But why is it so big????? could you put in a new fire box or chamber and cut the nozzle down??

Old 01-16-07, 01:30 PM
Who
What's your heatloss?

I might say this often, but unless you do a heatloss calculation, you're making blind guesses.

My approach - do a heatloss. Then maybe play around with the heatloss calculations and see if there is any way to lower it in an economical manner (easy spot for better insulation such as ceiling etc).

Next figure out just how much oversized your current equipment is. You should be able to establish the net efficiency of your system to some degree based on your heatloss and your current consumption. How much of that $1,300 in heat goes into the house and how much goes stright up the chimney...

You should also try and figure out how much it costs per BTU for the different kinds of fuel available to you (what are your gas, oil, electric, ???? rates).

You're trying to reduce a $1,300 annual bill. Before spending any big money, I'd want to know what kind of savings I could expect. If spending 2 or 4K on a boiler is only going to save you a couple of hundred a year, is it worth it?

Most people don't want to do the math... if you do, there are several of us here that will gladly help you out, but it all starts with calculating the heatloss requirements of your home.

Old 01-17-07, 03:54 AM
try to reply somewhat knowledgable

I really do not have heat loss study at hand and truly do not know the cost per btu but i have talked to a hand full of folks on my block and know that i am about double in cost to anyone around. Also i did have someone look at my boiler and he said something like 60% efficient. So i did the math and if i am correct in 3 years the new boiler would have paid for itself. Not to mention i am looking at investing money into what is already here, by the hundreds. Not counting oil. Hopefully thats in right direction?

Old 01-17-07, 04:01 AM
Oh Nozzle Size?

About a year and half ago i had a contract for cleaning and such. Well the guy said my nozzle was too small and replaced it. Since my oil consumption has increased. Not substantially but enough. So i don't have them any more. But never reduced the nozzle because no one can give me a definitive yes or no whether that service guy was right or wrong. And thats with looking at my boiler. So i have thought about lowering the size, but more is starting to go wrong with this system, NOW.

Old 01-17-07, 06:20 AM
Who
In order to do a heatloss, you enter the sizes of all your various rooms and the type of construction / insulation, how tight or drafty it is and it gives you a room by room number. Ideally what you have for rads in each room should be close to the room's heatloss. The overall heatloss should match your boiler's net rating although your boiler could actually be even smaller since they tend to error on the high side.

SlantFin has a nice heatloss product - the CD is free for the asking or you can download it but it is big. You can get it off there web site.

Here are some online heatloss resources:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/contractor/heatload2.htm

http://www.heatload.com/

http://www.cadetco.com/heatloss.php

How much is a gallon of #2 oil?

Is natural gas available? If so, how much is a therm of NG?

How much do you pay per kWh of electricity?

What city are you in/near?

Old 01-17-07, 12:00 PM
nozzle

Originally Posted by td5953 View Post
About a year and half ago i had a contract for cleaning and such. Well the guy said my nozzle was too small and replaced it. Since my oil consumption has increased. Not substantially but enough. So i don't have them any more. But never reduced the nozzle because no one can give me a definitive yes or no whether that service guy was right or wrong. And thats with looking at my boiler. So i have thought about lowering the size, but more is starting to go wrong with this system, NOW.
You can't arbitrarily change nozzle sizes WITHOUT doing a combustion test, and verifying that the pump pressure is also correct. Also, the Max. firing rate for that boiler is determined by the manufacturer; not by trial, error, or guessing. You need to do a smoke, combustion and draft test or things could become worse.