Baseboard Heat Refurbish

Old 01-17-07, 06:06 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Heat Refurbish

I have Crane caste iron basboard heat on my first floor. Hot water heat feeds the baseboards. I would like to refurbish the baseboards to make them produce more heat. The reflective metal behind the baseboards is in poor shape. I would like to replace this metal after I clean the baseboards, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should replace it with? It currently looks like there is aluminum/tinfoil over felt paper. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-17-07, 06:21 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
I don't think it won't make as much difference as you'd like. As long as it is clean and unobstructed. Is it a balance problem? Can you just crank up the t-stat?

Old 01-17-07, 06:46 PM
S
It is a balance problem, the upstairs, with freestanding radiators, is 15 - 20 degrees warmer than the first floor, which only has baseboards. I am planning on installing t-stats on the upstairs radiators to control their temperature, after that I hope to be able to crank up the main t-stat and have the baseboards put out their heat. Until then I was just hoping I could bring the baseboards up to snuff.

Old 01-17-07, 08:52 PM
Who
Are the baseboards downstairs original? If not, then they might be the problem.

Old 01-18-07, 07:33 AM
S
The baseboards are not origional the downstairs was origionally serviced by free-standing radiators. I am trying to get an idea from Crane, as to when the baseboards were manufactured. They radiate well right now, but because I have not zoned the system the majority of the heat migrates to the upstairs radiators.

During the course of me writing this, I have found out from Crane that they have no knowledge of the baseboard heat that I have. At one time they produced it, but that was at least 50 years ago. So I guess that I will try to clean the iron and replace the tin as best as I can. Unless anyone has any suggestions.

Old 01-18-07, 09:22 AM
Who
I'll bet the house had nice balance with the standing iron. If you are under-radiated downstairs, why not get the radiation capacity back up to what it should be? I would start by doing room by room heatloss calculations and then figure how much radiation you havea for each room. Then figure out how to address the imbalance without zoning. You could still zone after that with TRVs, but I'd try and nail down the overall balance first. Otherwise, suppose you go away for the weekend. You come back, crank the stat back up to regular and then your house is going to recover top, then bottom. It won't be as quick or as comfortable as it should be. I think the TRVs are great but nail down the balance first if you can.

Old 01-18-07, 11:32 AM
S
Thanks for the suggestion. I have down loaded some heat loss calculation information and will get after it this weekend and hopefully will be able to come up with some meaningful numbers. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 01-18-07, 06:08 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Do you have baseboard RADIATORS or baseboard CONVECTORS? There is a whole world of difference between the two. Convectors work by heating the air rather than heating the objects (including people) in the room. If you have convectors then they must have free airfloww into the bottom and out the top. If you have radiators they won't work as well if there is a lot of furniture blocking them.

Old 01-18-07, 07:24 PM
S
Thank you for the clarification. I think that they are convectors. I am going to be taking them apart and cleaning them to make sure that convection can actually take place. I still think that I need to replace the foil when I do get them apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: