Oil burner/baseboard pipe froze and broke-help?

Old 01-18-07, 06:30 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil burner/baseboard pipe froze and broke-help?

I have an oil burner and three forced hot water/baseboard zones. One zone goes to a backroom that we seldomly use and keep the heat on low. That zone recently stopped working even when I installed a new thermostat. (Please understand that I'm a commercial fisherman and not a plumber so forgive me if I use the wrong terms and correct me if I'm wrong here). So I think I traced the problem to a small electrical box (with a switch on "auto")on the pipe next to my burner where the zones are seperated above my circulator pump. It looked slightly corroded as opposed to the ones on the other two zone pipes that look good. Well I didn't fix it in time and the pipe in the baseboard heater in the backroom froze and broke last night. It's an accessable spot and should be an easy fix. I do know how to cut the section out and sweat in a coupler. My questions are... Is it ok that I shut off the valve on the pipe for this zone just above that failed electrical box? Will this effect the other two zones? Is the box an easy fix? After I fix the broken pipe, how do I fill and bleed the zone. Any other advice or help would be greatly appreciated and if you live close to Marshfield Mass, I'll set you up with a lobster dinner anytime!

Old 01-19-07, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Frozen pipe

I belive that small electrial box is a zone valve.

If you can post some pictures of the boiler & nearby piping it would be a big help. You can post them on photobucket or similar photo hosting site & provide a link here.

Old 01-19-07, 08:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool 310 miles / 5 hours round trip / $40+/- in gasoline

I'd be glad to come out, but that is quite a haul for a simple fix. If you can post any pictures, then I can tell you exactly what to do. Without pic's, it is difficult to know how your boiler is piped and what kind of controls and zone valves you have. Too bad you didn't post this a couple weeks ago. I was out that way (Hopedale MA) on Thursday 1/11/07.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: