Amtrol Boilermate Thermostat Replacement

Old 01-22-07, 05:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amtrol Boilermate Thermostat Replacement

Hi All,

I've got what I believe is about a 20 year old Amtrol BoilerMate Indirect water heater, 41 gals. The heating system is a BBHW oil fired. The Amtrol unit is installed as a seperate zone. The water temp is WAY too high, over 150 at the tap. I turned the thermostat on the unit way down and eventually heard a click of going off I suppose. The circulator pump is one of those small green units and it felt pretty hot. My electric bill has gone up quite a bit and I seem to be going through more oil than expected.
A long yap I know, I think the thermostat is shot on the unit.
Is this an easy part to replace? How can I find out how it's done? Is it so difficult to replace meaning that should I call someone who knows? Where can one obtain Amtrol parts or should I just order from them?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-07, 04:31 PM
Amtrol

Which model? Amtrol is still in business, and they are in Rhode Island. Check the website www.amtrol.com for info; some of the manuals are available online. A quick telephone call might bring the quickest results.

Old 01-22-07, 06:31 PM
The repair is easy. No draining of water or anything. Just turn off the power and switch them out. You may be able to find one online but I doubt that Amtrol sells them online.

Ken

Old 01-23-07, 08:30 AM
R
Thank you Ken and Radioconnection. I will call Amtrol today to get the correct part number for my Boilermate. I poked around last night and it does lok easy to swap out. Found a part at Pulmbersupply.com that might be what I'm needing. Amtrol has list of local suppliers/service techs too so I'll call around.
Thanks for the pointers.

Old 02-13-07, 10:09 AM
R
Hi All,

Actually any Boilermate built before 1992 does need to be drained. The part (2704-093 I think) was cheap, $40.00, The job is awkward only because the fittings are between two pipes, the coil input/output pipes. The small fitting came out easily, the larger one a 7/16, rounded and had to be removed by snipping the sensor wire and using one of those socket like things for removing rounded nuts and studs. Worked surprisingly well. The way the replacement part worked there was no measurement to worry about. The job went perfectly and my HW temp is now at about 130 degrees. The upstairs bath which wouldn't work at all is fine now too. I am guessing the scald protect valve, when seeing 175 degree water, kind of went into fail-safe mode and cut off everything. Nice to do some work and have it come out well for a change :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: