basebord heat not circulating hot water

Old 01-22-07, 07:45 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
basebord heat not circulating hot water

hi all, our house has a oil fired burner/furnace. The front of house and upstairs has cast iron radiators which work fine.

The back of the house has baseboard rads that loops from the main burner pipe. This loop has a seperate thermastat. The baseboard heat is not as good as the cast iron radiators but they did an OK job heating the back.

A couple days ago the switching relay (honeywell)was making an very loud clicking noise. I went to home depot and got a new Taco relay and fitted it.

Now, i hear the water circulating but no hot water is being drawn through the system and thus no heat. Is this a different problem or connected to the new switching relay? any help greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-07, 08:45 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
did any part of the system get partially drained during all of this? What's your system pressure?

Old 01-23-07, 01:34 AM
Question Circulator air bound?

While standing next to the boiler, shut off the power to the boiler/burner/circulator, and when the circulator stops running, do you hear air bubbles? If so, then you need to purge the loop and/or bleed the radiators (if you have vents on them). Pictures might help.

Old 01-23-07, 03:44 AM
C
just to be clear, its the back of the house with baseboard heat the has the problem..

no water water was drained, how do i tell the system pressure???

Only one of the baseboards has a bleed valve which i bled, but still no hot water is beeing drawn.

Old 01-23-07, 04:16 AM
Cool Under Pressure

You bled it, but no water came out? If you want to verify the pressure gauge, you can pick up a Watts brand gauge at home depot that has a female hose connection and it will also tell you if the pressure has spiked at any time. You will find it near the water heater installation kits. The radiators can still get hot with some air in them, but the baseboard won't. Is the baseboard one long perimeter run, with no drops below the floor except for the supply and return?

Old 01-23-07, 04:36 AM
Try this to be sure that zone is coming on. Turn all other tstats off/down. Turn up the one that controls that loop. Does the relay pull in? Does the circulator run? If both happen, then there's a problem with that loop.
Airbound? Could it have frozen while you had it down?

Old 01-23-07, 05:24 PM
C
EMT, I bled the baseboard with the only bleed valve on, some air came out then water.

"Is the baseboard one long perimeter run, with no drops below the floor except for the supply and return?" yes it is.

HVACGUY "Does the relay pull in? Does the circulator run? If both happen, then there's a problem with that loop" hmm is that right? If the relay kicks in and the i hear the circulator running surley that means the loop is working, except in my case its circulating cold water instead of hot???

It cant have frozen as the heat from he front of the house kept the temp warm enough..

thanx guys for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: