Oil Burner won't start up - no pressure

Old 01-23-07, 07:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Oil Burner won't start up - no pressure

Help ... I let my heating oil tank run to empty and when the guy came to fill it up with fuel a few days ago (he filled it to 1/4 tank), he told me that he need to prime the burner, too. When he left here, my heat was running cozily... within 2 or 3 hours, the burner never went back on again ... I readjusted the thermostat a few times and that's when I realized to look down in the basement at the burner itself. Here's what I found:

1) No pressure or temperature on the gauges of the fuel pump (I assume its the fuel pump)

2) I hit that little red button to on the burner - and I hear something start - for a few seconds --- but the actual heat never comes on.

I've tried searching the forum on the method of bleeding the fuel line - but I can't find it ... I think this is what I need to do...

Help - we have a deep freeze coming soon and I want to try to fix this myself before I have to call a service guy out....

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Theresa

Old 01-23-07, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No heat

Before we go into the burner part, I need to know if this is hot water, steam, or warm air heat. If it is hot water, we need to address the pressure issue first.

Old 01-23-07, 02:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grady
Before we go into the burner part, I need to know if this is hot water, steam, or warm air heat. If it is hot water, we need to address the pressure issue first.

Grady, thanks for your help!!

This is hot water radiator baseboard heat.

Old 01-23-07, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hot Water Boiler

If you can post some pictures of the boiler & nearby piping it would be a big help. You can post them on photobucket or similar site & provide a link to them here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Since we are dealing with a boiler, I'm moving this thread to the boilers forum.

Last edited by Grady; 01-23-07 at 04:25 PM. Reason: See note in post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: