What to Do??

Old 01-24-07, 10:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to Do??

I have a 840 sg ft garage that already has 1/2"pipe in the floor.Want to put in a Electric Hydronic Heater. Wall mounting only. All ready with 110 outlet. I dont know what is needed. Can anyone help with specific details? Picture would help.
Thank You

Old 01-24-07, 03:24 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'd say "forget it". You have given no information to give any kind of meaningful answer. If your garage was eight feet tall and free standing with no insulation in the walls or ceiling AND your outside design temperature was zero degrees F. then the quick and dirty answer would be a requirement of approximately (VERY approximately) 23,000BTU/hr. That would require approximately a seven kilowatt heating unit and at 120 volts that would require a circuit rated at 73 Amperes. It is almost a sure bet that your "110 outlet" cannot supply that amount of power.

If you really want a detailed answer then you first need to do a heat loss calculation on your garage.

Old 01-24-07, 06:13 PM
Wink

On a happier note, you say there is a 1/2 pipe to your garage? Is this a heating pipe coming from a boiler?
If so, I'm assuming your garage is no larger than a common 2 car like a raised ranch would have. I'm also assuming that you just want to keep it around 55-60 degrees to keep the cars warm, or for a work space.

If this is true, you can get yourself a fan coil unit from Renzor or another manufacturer. The piping involves a supply & return from the boiler and a standard 115 volt connection for the fan.

Since it's in the garage you can get one with a 24volt control or install your own. This will allow it to turn on by a stat. You can let it get hot anytime the boiler zones run & just have the fan come on with the stat. This will be ok since you're not looking for perfect zone control, just to make it a little warmer.

Old 01-25-07, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by HVACGuy
On a happier note, you say there is a 1/2 pipe to your garage? Is this a heating pipe coming from a boiler?
If so, I'm assuming your garage is no larger than a common 2 car like a raised ranch would have. I'm also assuming that you just want to keep it around 55-60 degrees to keep the cars warm, or for a work space.

If this is true, you can get yourself a fan coil unit from Renzor or another manufacturer. The piping involves a supply & return from the boiler and a standard 115 volt connection for the fan.

Since it's in the garage you can get one with a 24volt control or install your own. This will allow it to turn on by a stat. You can let it get hot anytime the boiler zones run & just have the fan come on with the stat. This will be ok since you're not looking for perfect zone control, just to make it a little warmer.
Thanks HVACGuy,
I`ll check into it.

Old 01-25-07, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by furd
I'd say "forget it". You have given no information to give any kind of meaningful answer. If your garage was eight feet tall and free standing with no insulation in the walls or ceiling AND your outside design temperature was zero degrees F. then the quick and dirty answer would be a requirement of approximately (VERY approximately) 23,000BTU/hr. That would require approximately a seven kilowatt heating unit and at 120 volts that would require a circuit rated at 73 Amperes. It is almost a sure bet that your "110 outlet" cannot supply that amount of power.

If you really want a detailed answer then you first need to do a heat loss calculation on your garage.
Thanks for the reply.=) As for Garage condition, Yes Walls are insulated and Drywalled. How ever unable to tell exactly R value. I`m sure you understand why. Ceiling height is approxamently 10ft with 5/8 " Drywall. Insulation be R-35. Outlet could be up graded, but would rather not. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: