New Peerless Boiler

Old 01-30-07, 04:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Peerless Boiler

I just had a new Peerless Boiler installed (Oil-- Steam) that I have a question about. With my old boiler, I used to empty the dirty water until it ran clean,and then added new water (once a week). With the new boiler I am not supposed to empty the water, and only add water when it gets low. Did I understand this correctly? I guess I am having a hard time understanding how this is supposed to work more efficently. I don't pretend to know alot about boilers (I have ALOT of questions I will be asking)-- but it just doesn't seem to make sense that the water will be going thru the dirty pipes, and back into the furnace constantly. Hopefully someone can explain these new furnaces to me. Any info will be appreciated since the book that came with the boiler did not give alot of info. Also, will I have to have the furnace drained once a year or so. I already had to have it done once since I got it. Seems like an added expense for no reason (never had to do it with my old one). Thanks!

Old 01-30-07, 07:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
In a steam system you absolutely need to periodically "blow down" the water in the boiler to get rid of the solids (suspended and dissolved) that concentrate. Depending on how much "make-up" water the boiler uses and the condition of the make-up water you may need to do this once a week or only once a month. If any service person tells you differently I want you to throw them out of your house.

Yes, you should also completely drain your boiler each year and, if possible, wash out the watersides.

I also want you to test the low-water cutoff on a monthly basis. If you need instruction try to take some pictures of the boiler and post them on a photo hosting site with the URL posted here.

You will possibly get advice to NOT change the water; this IS correct information for a hot-water system but absolutely false for a steam system. Steam systems are as different from hot water systems in regard to maintenance as night is from day.

Old 01-31-07, 04:01 PM
M
Question

Thank you so much. I had a feeling I was getting wrong info. Although I do have to tell you, the way this boiler is set up-- with the water valve to empy out the water on the very bottom of the boiler (like a water heater) they certainly are not making it easy to do (my old furnace was sooooooo much easier-- even though I had to do it every week).
I also appreciate the info about the low water cut-off. I have already had problems with that -- finally straightened out when the boiler got flushed. Seems to be ok now, but I am definitely keeping an eye on it.
After 3 months, I THINK most of the problems I have been having (banging, hissing, radiators leaking) have been solved except for one. Do you (or anyone reading this post) know why the heat is taking so long to come up. With my old boiler, I set the thermostat for 68 degrees for 6am, and by 7am the house was at 68degrees. With this new boiler, I set the thermostat for 5:30 and by 7:45 the house is usually no more than 66 degrees. Same when I come home at night. Ultimately the house does get warm, but it has been very frustrating. Could it be the new themostat? I have been trying different "swings" the past couple of day-- but nothing seems to be working. I am thinking of putting my old Honeywell themostat back on, but I don't know if this will resolve the problem or not. Any help with this problem will be appreciated!

Old 02-01-07, 05:11 PM
Some of the problems you described seem to be related to dirty boiler water. Did the installer skim and clean the boiler when it was installed? They probably would have listed it on their proposal as it takes several hours and adds to the total cost. It is well worthwhile to have it done because otherwise the water level jumps around and way too much water and wet steam get pushed up through the pipes. That water brings all kinds of ancient crud back to the brand new boiler and starts a bad cycle. If the boiler was sized correctly, and the main pipes are all insulated properly, and the vents all work properly, you are well on the way to a warm house. If any of those things are lacking, the best thing you can do is address every one until the system is working the way it was designed to.

Ken

Old 02-02-07, 09:50 AM
M
Question Peerless

Ken--Thank you for the info. I just wish I had posted this question 2 months ago-- it would have saved me alot of sleepless nights! To answer your question, no, the installer did not do that when he installed the boiler and I DID have ALOT of problems-- all related to the dirt that you discussed. ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY A STEAM FURNACE-- READ KEN'S POST FIRST!!! Ultimatey he put some cleaner into it, and finally flushed the furnace and put in new water. Seems fine now EXCEPT for the heat taking so long to come up. Once it hits the correct temperature at night (usually around 6-6:30-- even though thermostat is set for 4:15) it seems to run fine. But the 2-3 hours it takes to get to the correct temperature is frustrating. In the morning, I have the thermostat set to come up at 5:30 (to 69) and by the time I leave for work around 8, it is usually never above 67. Could it be the thermostat? I changed the swing from 1 to 3, and at least the furnace doesn't come on and off as much. Again-- thanks for your answer. I hope anyone looking to buy a steam boiler, does read your post-- and follow your advice.

Old 02-02-07, 12:01 PM
I just wonder if they may have reduced the output to stop some of the turbulence inside the boiler. I really wish I could see it run through a cycle. When the thermostat calls for the heat to come up from setback, do the radiators get hot reasonably fast and stay hot until the temperature is reached? They should. Is it possible for you to post some pictures?

Ken

Old 02-02-07, 03:46 PM
M
Peerless Boiler

Ken-- I will try to get some pictures.

When I get downstairs around 7:45, the temperature is around 66, but I have to admit, the house, in general, feels warm, and the radiators are all hot. I know the temperature is correct because I have a thermometer sitting near the themostat, and they always match.

When I get home from work, usually around an hour after the temperature is set to go to 69, and it is usually around 66. Again, the radiators are usually warm-- but at this time the house still feels pretty cold (probably because I just came in from outside). Again, as soon as the heat hits the 69, the house stays warm-- the problem is gettting to that point. I feel it is a total waste to have a programmable thermostat since it would be just as easy for me to go downstair in the AM and turn on the furnace, and then turn it on when I get home at night.

I do want to mention that a cleaner was put in the furnace (I can't remember the name) about a month after the furnace was installed. That was when our problems began. Once we cleaned out the water, and put more of the cleaner in, the radiators stopped the banging, and hissing. The water in the site glass is now light green, which, from what I understand, is normal. I did empty some very dirty water out yesterday, and today I emptied a little more out, and it at least ran clean.

I certainly appreciate your help. And I do hope anyone that is having problems with a steam furnace is reading these posts-- because you were dead-on right about the dirty water causing SO MANY problems!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: