Hot Water Heat T'Stat Question

Old 02-01-07, 11:01 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Hot Water Heat T'Stat Question

I have been reading quite a bit in here about (noise related) issues in regards to significant t'stat set back, and now I am wondering . . .

My 2 zone hot H20 system is somewhat noisy in one zone - loud pinging and the occasional knock that I associate with the shock of hot water entering the baseboard piping. I had installed a modern programmable control (in anticipation of central AC to be installed this spring) for that zone and after some reading, programmed it to allow ~6 degree setback at night.

Pinging seems a little better w/ the reduced setback but should I also consider changing the programmable heat cycles/hr and early start? Heat cycles has been factory preset at 4/hr and early start is preset at "off".

Or am I better off going back to a basic t'stat? I can go w/ a seperate t'stat w/ the AC.

Old 02-01-07, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Thermostat

Installing a programable thermostat for A/C is shooting yourself in the foot. You will be far more comfortable leaving the thermostat at a constant temperature. As for the heat, program the thermostat to increase the temperature an hour or two before you will be in that part of the house, presumably the bedrooms.

Old 02-02-07, 07:25 AM
M
Well, that would explain why my foot hurts! Thanks - that confirmed what I thought.

Old 02-03-07, 04:29 AM
Cool

I agree with grady to a point. A/C systems are designed to maintain a temperature. If the system could recover from a setback quickly, it is oversized for the rest of the time. When some wait until it's hot in the house before they turn on the a/c, the system fights an uphill battle all day, running non-stop.
The only exception is if you are going to be gone for 8 hrs or more at a time, then it may be a good idea to set back the temp a few degrees, say up to 78 or 80.

PS. The reason we can set back heat and recover quickly is, yes you guessed it, heating units are oversized. They are designed to satisfy the homes needs below the coldest day of the year. The rest of the time.....too big.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: