radiator fins

Old 02-02-07, 07:02 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radiator fins

i have too much heat coming from the radiator in my bedroom. i was told that if i remove some of the fins, it will reduce some of the heat. is this true and is this okay to do?

Old 02-02-07, 08:09 PM
If it is finned copper, a much better, safer, and easier alternative is to fold up aluminum foil in a width that matches the fins and lay it on top of the fins. Just pop off the front cover and slip it in on top. The heat output after the airflow is stopped is about the same as straight copper. And if you need a little more heat , you can always remove some foil. Unlike the unreversible process of removing fins.

Ken

Old 02-02-07, 09:30 PM
S
Don't the baseboards have an adjustable louver where the heat exits? Close it. Or try what the previous post said. If you do tear off fins, they're pretty impossible to replace...

Old 02-03-07, 03:20 PM
F
as i stated, this is a radiator. not a baseboard. i did the foil thing. still too hot. so once again... i was told that if i remove some of the fins, it will reduce some of the heat. is this true and is this okay to do? thanks.

Old 02-03-07, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Radiator?

I don't understand radiator & fins used together. Is this really a convector? A convector is a metal cabinet usually between 2 & 3 feet high with fins in the bottom only.

Old 02-04-07, 06:00 AM
In that case, the answer is no.

If you are asking if you can remove some of the sections in the radiator, you will ruin the radiator if you try. It should have a valve on it. Can you adjust the heat with that? If not and appearance is not crucial, yuo can still cover it with a blanket to experiment and then make a cover from wood that encloses part of the radiator. The best solution for a radiator that is ALWAYS too hot is to install a thermostatic valve in place of the hand valve there now. Then you can set it and forget it.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: