Gravity Flow Check

Old 02-02-07, 06:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Gravity Flow Check

Unusual question: regarding a gravity flow check valve, can it be installed on either side of the pump? If installed on the suction side, will the pump suction lift the cone and allow circulation? Is it an approved practice to install one in that manner?

Old 02-02-07, 07:13 PM
As long as you get the pump wet it will lift the check from then on. If you trap air in the pump when you install the check, it may need help getting primed. Some newer pumps have checks built in and they are on the inlet. They can be tricky to prime at times but they work fine afterward. The placement of the expansion tank is also important.

Ken

Old 02-02-07, 07:27 PM
R
Burp...

Originally Posted by KField
As long as you get the pump wet it will lift the check from then on. If you trap air in the pump when you install the check, it may need help getting primed. Some newer pumps have checks built in and they are on the inlet. They can be tricky to prime at times but they work fine afterward. The placement of the expansion tank is also important.

Ken

Hi Ken

The pump currently has the iso-check flanges. Have to burb the pump when ever I do any work that partially drains the supply lines!

Old 02-03-07, 04:46 AM
It should be the same after the flow check. But you know how to burp it so you will be OK.

Ken

Old 02-03-07, 07:56 AM
R
Another flow check question..

Here's the reason I want to use the flow check before the pump. It will be mounted "in line". Instead of plugging the alternative bottom inlet port, I wish to use it for feeding the DHW branch; it will be pumped to the DHW loop pump which has it's own check valve built into the flange. This will save some 1" copper tubing $$$$ if it will work. I think I've this done before, but I wonder if the valve might be "noisey" or start clanging in this application.

Pete

Old 02-03-07, 01:34 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
You wordy guys don't ever help us visual guys much...

Old 02-03-07, 02:13 PM
R
Who Haaaaa!

Originally Posted by Who
You wordy guys don't ever help us visual guys much...
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/FloCheckCAT100-7.5.pdf

Who... look at the pretty drawing of the Taco valves in that pdf.

Note how the flow is left to right through the check valve. The valve can be feed from the supply either on the left hand port or through the bottom port. The unused port is normally plugged off. I want to USE the port to feed the the supply to the DHW loop. Kind of like a poor man's tee.. Use the used port in the valve instead of adding another. Capice?

Pete

Old 02-04-07, 05:05 AM
I would be concerned about the turbulence that would be present in the body of the valve when you are running the indirect and the check is closed. I don't have any data to support my suggestion not to do it, but that is my suggestion.

Ken

Old 02-04-07, 05:20 AM
R
Thanks Ken

I've seen diagrams where both ports are used (Watts shows a bypass loop piped through the other inlet) but in that case both inlets were "inlets" and not used a flow through Tee. I may skip the idea. Thanks for your opinion.

Pete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: